Bread Machines- Thing of the past?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomW

Senior Cook
My Westbend bread machine wore out after 11 years of regular use, and I was surprised that both Walmart & Target only offered one choice as a possible replacement. :(

Are bread machines becoming a thing of the past?

Tom

I think they aren't as popular any more. I don't own one but all the people I know that have them now dont use them very regularly. Cant say I know of anyone who has used a bread machine regularly for 11 years! Good product endorsement I'd say since most appliances these days aren't made to last! (homemade bread always tastes nicer though).

Last edited:
I agree; personally, if I'm near a real artisinal bakery (and whole foods qualifies as does wegmans) I will buy fresh from them. If not...I get out my recipes and bulk grains and get to work. It is great on a fall weekend to bake at home...and if you got kids, it's a great family activity.

I have a Welbilt that I purchased in '94 that I did not use for years until the past few months, but I have started making bread again and it's really getting a workout. I never did use it for baking, shaping, etc. I just use the manual setting and do the rest by hand, but it is great for that first kneading! See my post entitled:"Photos of my Italian bread, please look!".

Here is the link: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14668

I have been making Italian, Oatmeal, some rolls, hotdog and humburg buns, etc. I actually love my machine and if it goes out I will get another!!!

Pamela:chef:

Last edited:
Tomw said:
Are bread machines becoming a thing of the past?

Tom

Oh, I hope not! I don't use mine on a real regular basis but I use it enough that I would miss it if I didn't have it anymore. Especially at this time of year.
I'm not one who finds it therapeutic to knead dough for a long period of time. :)

I had a bread machine once and tried making banana bread with it. It was such a disaster that after that first try I just gave away the machine. :neutral: The bread was burnt on the outside and mushy on the inside. I don't know if it was the machine or the recipe.

I have recently started baking bread though with my kitchen aid stand mixer. I love it. I dont' have to do much work. just toss in the ingredients and mix. :)

I know several people that use their bread machines regularly. I suppose it was a fad but some people have become very dedicated to tthem. The local supermarket carrys a line of mixes just for bread machines.

Me, I use my KitchenAid Professional 5+ or my KA Professional 6 to make bread every weekend. Feels better for me when I know I worked a little at it ;-)

I woudn't say that I've noticed a large decline in bread machine usage among my friends and family members who enjoy baking.

I really miss having a bread machine! I try to eat a minimal amount of preservatives, addictives, etc and having a bread machine was a great way to know what exactly was going into my bread. It was so handy, and I really hope to get another one in the future (sold mine at my pre-moving garage sale before coming to Ireland, just couldn't fit it in my carry-on bag :LOL:).

I have had my Oster 2-lb bread and dough maker for about 10 years now and just love it! I started to do the entire process in it. Clear to the finished baked loaves, however, when I discovered the dough making setting I never returned to letting the machine bake the bread. I make it better from the dough on out!
I just use the machine to kneed the dough and let it go through the first rise. The dough is then plopped on my board and I punch it down. Then I cut into whatever I want. Sometimes 6 hoggie type rolls or three nice French or Italian baggettes. I like baggettes best.
Then after shapping I let rise, then slice and brush tops (if I want) and place into the oven at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes depending on the tapped bottom routine and the color on the tops.
I can't tell you how happy I am with the machine. Sometimes I make two or three batches and give them out to my neighbors who really enjoy fresh baked breads, and think I am a great baker!
I am still trying different recipes to see where I have to go to make really good Italian or French (with nice crust).
I hope you get another machine at least to mix the dough. If this one goes out I think I will purchase a standard dough mixer type machine, because I don't need the oven part. And I would like to make larger amounts. But for now this will have to do because those others cost a great deal of money.

Does anyone who has a stand mixer w/ dough hook prefer to prepare the dough w/ the bread machine. What is the pros/cons to each. When I had my bread machine, I didn't even think to use it just to prepare the dough. To be honest, I didn't learn much about the machine before I chucked it.

htc said:
To be honest, I didn't learn much about the machine before I chucked it.

(chuckling) htc, your rep as a gadget freak just diminished a little!

To me, it's just one more thing that needs to be plugged in, so I'm doing without.

Mud, this is before I came down with the illness. :LOL: I've had this condition for only about a year or so. It got really bad when I woke up one night (4am) and watched an infomercial for the Cuisinart Pannini Grill. *sigh* Good times...Good times. :) I haven't looked back since!

WHAT??!!!**looking around** I've never heard of an electric cake decorator...r u pulling my leg???:LOL: Am I going to open up the present and find DH and son in the box??? :LOL:

BTW, this weekend, I'm going to try out my new wilton cake border thingy. It makes different patters on the cake. *yippee*

htc said:
Does anyone who has a stand mixer w/ dough hook prefer to prepare the dough w/ the bread machine. What is the pros/cons to each...
I have a stand mixer w/ dough hook in addition to my, now, two bread machines. :ohmy:

I bought a new machine (I am the thread starter) to replace the one that quit, and immediately called it in to action to knead the evening's pizza dough. Detail can follow if anyone cares, but I did not care for it's operation. I was going to live with it, but when it did not punch the dough down before signalling "all done", I fixed my old bread machine (I am the 'handy' type'). The old machine has just now finished kneading tonight's dinner rolls.

Back to your original question - I enjoy bread making. Although I have not retired the mixer-with-bread-hooks, it requires more attention than the bread machine for kneading dough. The sides of the bowl need to be scraped down more often than the bread machine's smaller mixing platform. But if you knead more dough than the bread machine can handle :rolleyes:, it does an excellent job.

As far as baking the bread, the machine also does a fine job. The problem is that you are relegated to bread that looks like it came out of a machine.

I have heard many cooks-better-than-me swear by their machines for mixing the dough. After the machine is done, they then work their magic with the results. :)

People my age may remember Eddie Albert in the TV show Green Acres waxing poetic about "planting the seeds in the fertile Earth", and watching them grow. Bread making with dough hooks is a lot like that. Mixing with dough hooks makes me feel like "Oliver". Using the machine gets a good result with less attention. ;-)

Tom

You know I don't think there is much difference in that they both accept ingredience and the hook stirs and mixes it. The bread machine and the regular mixer both do this. I don't think there is anything difference in them in this regard.

Bread machine dough cycles are for those who prefer toaster-like functioning. A stand mixer allows more flexibility in ... well, everything.

I still see them in electronics shops here, but they are not being advertised much any more.

My mother had one for a couple of years and ended up selling it. We didn't like the bread - it had an odd texture and only tasted good while warm. But we did use it for kneading the dough every time we made homemade bread or pizza.

Back
Top Bottom