"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 01-29-2005, 10:13 PM   #31
Senior Cook

subfuscpersona, I can say one word : WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an effort you've put to keep us all so infromed and on track, including tips, tricks and even PICS !!!!!!!! I am so amazed ! You have done a great job :D Thank you very much for that!

As for me, I admitt I haven't yet started I don't know why I was so busy the last couple of weeks and weekends I'm mostly out.. So, now this is a final prmise I WILL GET STARTED this time!

I just wanted to let you know that all your pics and tips made me so encouraged and confident to shoot the biga!

Will keep you updated... I won't be long
Thanks once again!

Old 02-01-2005, 07:44 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Whipped up a ringed bread with filling today. It turned out really well if I do say so. Filled it with alot of fresh basil, mozarella, parmesan, semi-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives.

If I make it again in the future I will definitely increase the amount of filling in the bread and also try to center it more in the bread once it is folded over.

Unfourtunately my ISP is too much of a scrooge to supply free web hosting so I have had to put my images onto Sony's ImageStation which can only be viewed by registered members (it's free, both to view images and store them, unless you choose to upgrade you membership) so those with accounts you can check out the photos.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2131316904

Old 02-01-2005, 11:20 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
Whipped up a ringed bread with filling today. It turned out really well if I do say so. Filled it with alot of fresh basil, mozarella, parmesan, semi-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives.

If I make it again in the future I will definitely increase the amount of filling in the bread and also try to center it more in the bread once it is folded over.

Unfourtunately my ISP is too much of a scrooge to supply free web hosting so I have had to put my images onto Sony's ImageStation which can only be viewed by registered members (it's free, both to view images and store them, unless you choose to upgrade you membership) so those with accounts you can check out the photos.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2131316904
Haggis, would you mind sharing this mouth watering bread recipe :D
Old 02-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #34
Sous Chef

Not at all, I would be delighted.

1kg bread flour
3x7g active dry yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
625ml warmed water, little more little less, you know how it is

Filling
- at least 2 really large handfuls of fresh herbs, I used basil
- a fair amount of any cheese, use your judgement and preferences, I used mozarella and parmesan because thats what I had left over but you could use any cheese apart from a fresh cheese really
- any extras like semi-dried tomatoes, chopped black olives, prosciutto, hard boiled eggs, zucchinis/courgettes, caramelised onions etc etc etc
- bit of extra-virgin oo
- salt and black pepper

Put about half of the water in a bowl, add the yeast and sugar and give it a quick stir, then leave to prove for a bit. Combine the flour and salt in a bowl, on a surface and make a well (I personally use a big bowl, less mess, plus you can pop the bowl and flour in the microwave to gently warm the flour, makes for more ideal conditions for the yeast to do its thing).

Pour the yeast mixture into the well and mix some of the flour into it (I use a fork) until it forms a sludgy consistancy. Pour the rest of the water in and incorporate the rest of flour in to form your dough. Use a bit more flour or water to get it to the right consitancy.

Grease another bowl with some oil (I warm the bowl in the microwave before putting the dough in) and place the dough in it. Flour the top and cover with a tea towel that has been wet with hot water and wrung out until damp, place over the top.

Leave to prove until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 180'C (350'F).

Knock the air out of it for a bit then knead for about 5 minutes to get that smooth, elastic feeling. Roll out until its about 1 metre long (39 inches) and roughly 20cm wide (8 inches) (I found this to be too large, next time I make it I might reduce the amount by about a quarter). Place the fillings in the centre of the strip of dough then drizzle some oil over the top of them.

Fold one side of the dough over the filling and pinch to shut. Then bring one end of the dough round in a circle to meet the other and pinch together. Place on a baking sheet that has been dusted with flour and leave for 15 minutes to prove.

Flour the top of the dough then place in the oven gently and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top. I checked mine after 30 minutes and it was fine, I also placed another baking sheet under the one the dough was on because mine are not the thickest and the bottoms tend to be a bit overdone.

Pull out and let cool a bit, then bob's your uncle and fanny's your aunt.

Enjoy.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:10 AM   #35
Sous Chef

ciabatta recipe

for lyndalou

link to ciabatta recipe
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=29100

if any reader has a different ciabatta recipe would you post it here for lyndalou?

lyndalou - please share your experience making ciabatta with the rest of us - thanks :D
Old 02-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #36
Head Chef

Thank you so much for sending this to me. I can't wait to try it. I will definitely let you know how I make out. :)
Old 02-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Haggis this recipe is mouth watering yumm ! I can't wait to try it :D Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

i have wanted to join in on the fun using my breadman breadmaker, but as i said, my wife tossed out the kneading paddle. i have searched and searched but been unable to find a replacement. it is a model tr700 breadman ultra. can anyone help me find one? tia...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #39
Senior Cook

Hey there I have finally got myself working on my BREAD !! I think I messed up something in the middle, so I'd love to hear your advice :D

Ok, so i made the "Baguette" recipe posted on page 2 of this thread starting with the Patte Fermente. I made it as directed, put in an oiled bowl and it came out beautiful. I went on making the bread dough, kneaded it in the machine for about 6 minutes and with my hands for another 2 minutes, it was perfectly smooth. I oiled my bowl ( I think I over-oiled it actually) and each time I was checking on the dough, it rises perfectly but it was so oily that makes it hard to handle.. So anyways, I formed my baguettes with alot of difficulties because of the oil on the dough. I was afraid to add alot of flour, so I just formed them very messily :?

I let them rise again, they did well. I Baked them in a 450 Oven (well sprayed and moist) for about 18 minutes , they started to brown alot so I lowered the temperature to 375 and baked them for another 5-7 minutes.

The end Result:

The bread's Flavor was so good I couldn't beleive how I actually ever thought I made baguettes withour Patte Fermente before!! they were so tastey and the crust was perfect, color was perfect..
here comes the problem...
They were so dense :( :( I'm guessing it's the oily bowl, or now I'm guessing maybe I under-cooked them ?? It's so bad because the taste is so rich but the texture is so heavy and dense..

What do you all think ?
Thanks!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i have wanted to join in on the fun using my breadman breadmaker, but as i said, my wife tossed out the kneading paddle. i have searched and searched but been unable to find a replacement..
hi buckytom,

Sorry, I can't help you with your equipment problem but you don't need special equipment to make some of the bread recipes posted here. The idea for this thread is simply to explore using "preferments" for any kind of bread making.

My post My White "Loaf Bread with Biga Redux - Part II" is made by hand without any special equipment.

Please post your opinion about this approach to bread-making and/or your reactions to this thread.

We would like to hear from anyone who wants to post on this topic. Evaluations of prior posts on this thead would also be helpful.

Tags
None