"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 11-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Those breads are gorgeous! I want a loaf of that pumpernickel, rosemary olive oil, challah, roasted garlic Parmesan......oh heck, give me one of each!

Old 11-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Something you might do, Pacanis, is make a recipe of the NYT bread, bake it all (one loaf at a time, of course), and freeze the individual loaves. They thaw in about 1/2 an hour on the counter and can be re-crisped in the oven at 350* for 10 minutes.
Thanks GG. Joe mentioned that very thing to me last week. I really need to get in the habit of making it first. It's so much simpler to throw everything in the bread machine, which I just did 20 minutes ago, but of course there's no comparison in the bread type.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
Hey Joe nice pics!

When I first joined this forum you suggested that I consider making my own bread, so I looked into it. Nearly every recipe I found required that I be near the bread for 4-5 hours. A typical recipe was about 1/2 hr. to mix, 1-1/2 hr. to rise, punch down and shape, another 1-1/2 hr. to rise, then bake about 1 hr. That's a lot of hanging around the house for bread.

On the other hand, I see that most of those loaves are $4 or more, and would only feed my family of 4 for one meal. The same is true for most of the bread at my supermarket bakery. I've been cooking at home more to try to save money, and I wince whenever I see a loaf of bread that costs $4-$5.

So my question is, what is the happy medium? How do you make your bread? Do you just devote a whole day to making a bunch of dough at one time? I know you make a lot, so give us your secret!
I usually make a weeks worth of bread at a sitting - 1 loaf kept for current use and the rest into the freezer until required. It is also seldom I spend more than 3hrs with the bread and there are jobs to do while you are waiting. House cleaning day would be a good one.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Joe, we will soon find out. I got a wild hair and decided to try and make the NYT bread. I was actually thinking about it for tonight, but then after reading the instructions..... looks like hot bread for tomorrow! But I'm gonna give her a whirl... see what happens!
You go girl! We're here if you need us.

BTW, I have made the NYT dough when I get up in the morning for work, and then shape, proof & bake it that same evening. It's possible if you plan it right. Also, you can turn out this dough in 9-10 hours if you have a warm kitchen or proof it in the oven all day with the light on. Where there's a will, there's a way. I don't talk about my cheating very often because the flavor increases the longer it sits, and you sacrifice a bit of flavor when you cheat the time god.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
So my question is, what is the happy medium? How do you make your bread? Do you just devote a whole day to making a bunch of dough at one time? I know you make a lot, so give us your secret!
There's no secret. I usually dedicate a day to baking bread, and can turn out 6-8 loaves in about 5-6 hours with good planning. I also will bake whenever I have some time after work, by starting the dough when I walk in the door, and baking it after dinner. I make enough bread to cover us for at least 7-10 days, and freeze my bread and rolls as soon as they are cooled to room temperature.

Keep in mind that this is a hobby for me, and not something I have to do. I enjoy baking and cooking, so I don't look at this as wasted time that could be more productive. Some people play golf, racquetball, basketball or other pursuits that they enjoy. I also fly fish, tie flies, build fly rods and sit on the board for two non-profit organization as well. Personally, I consider time in front of TV as wasted time. I do things that challenge me and cause me to think. With that attitude I never see my baking as a burden. If it were, I'd be the first guy at the bakery buying bread.

Joe
Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #16
Head Chef

I can't imagine how good that store smelled! I would take a few of those loaves please!

Joe, or anyone for that matter, have you tried the NYT bread with add-ins? I was toying with adding olives and parmesan or asiago. I was also thinking of using some of my tomato juice for the water. Thoughts?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
I can't imagine how good that store smelled! I would take a few of those loaves please!

Joe, or anyone for that matter, have you tried the NYT bread with add-INS? I was toting with adding olives and park or asiago. I was also thinking of using some of my toato juice for the water. Thoughts?
I do a few add-ins, and I also make it with rye flour and wheat flour. Here's a sheet I prepared for the students I'll be teaching this coming Friday:

No-Knead Bread Adaptations

No-Knead Italian Herb ~ Add 2T of mixed Italian herbs to base recipe.

No-Knead Flax Seed ~ Add C flax seeds to base recipe.

No-Knead Dakota~ Add C Kings Diet Trail Mix to base recipe (Nuts & seed & raisins).

No-Knead Craisin-Raisin-Sunflower ~ Add C craisins, C Sunflower seeds & C raisins to base recipe.

No-Knead Rye ~ Follow basic no-knead recipe method.

3/4C Dark rye flour
2 C All purpose flour
3/8t Instant Yeast
1 t Salt
13 oz. Water

No-Knead Wheat ~ Follow basic no-knead recipe method.

3/4C Whole wheat flour
2 C All purpose flour
3/8t Instant Yeast
1 t Salt
13 oz. Water
Old 11-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Joe, my dear,
you rock!!!
That looks so good, I don't know if I could get out of there without spending an entire grocery budget on bread....
Oh ok I'd save some for butter. :)

I keep meaning to take a pic of my bagels for ya, but 3am is very early to be attempting to remember to bring a camera to work!
Old 11-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I visited that market a couple of years ago while on a trip to the Botanical Gardens. What a wonderful place; it is Disney World for foodies. I took home as much stuff as I could. Would love to go there again but it's quite a haul from Florida!
Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Those are some great shots, Joe. That Farm Bread looked interesting with the layers. And there's quite a bit of bread there I would love to buy. I checked out the link to that store that PieSusan posted in the pepper thread. I wish they were closer.

That's the thing I don't like about NYT bread, sattie.... I feel like some today, which means I should have started it yesterday.
The link that I posted in the pepper thread was to the very place that Joe took pictures of these breads. It is the West Side Market and is a famous Cleveland landmark. Raechel Ray visited it when she was her doing her trip to Cleveland show.

Tags
None