"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 11-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Talking I would

Yeah, without the other toppings I think it would make a very nice breakfast, sort of like pancakes and you can accompany it with a warm glass of milk and vanilla.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #22
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Gee..... I've never had any trouble eating leftover Bread Pudding for breakfast! so what's the difference if you make is special for a Brunch?

I have at least 10 different dessert bread pudding recipes, and several savory ones, as well. My favorite bread is Challah or brioche, because they are so eggy and rich, but there are many wonderful breads to choose from. Don't think I would care for one made from Krispy Kremes, tho, as I think they are too sweet to start with. One wouldn't need any sugar in the custard with those!

Old 11-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I think I remember seeing someone making a bread pudding out of Krispy Kreme doughnuts on FoodTV. I have also seen it made with one of those Italian Pannettone fruitcakes, which is about all they are really good for.
Wow, growing up in an Italian/American home and always enjoying pannettone around the holidays, that comment was a bit harsh. My mother always said if you don't care for a food, simply say 'no thank you', and leave it at that. You never know who else is sitting at the table that may really love what you just said was 'no good' (or some other negative comment).

Pannettone makes excellent french toast, and it's wonderful grilled with nutella spread on it. It makes a wonderful grilled cheese sandwich, too, especially if you use gouda or sharp cheddar.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

If it tastes good, eat it! Anytime!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Pannettone makes excellent french toast, and it's wonderful grilled with nutella spread on it.
Vera, I'm not a big Nutella nut, but I've been pondering doing the French toast version for Christmas this year. I have a recipe, but would certainly entertain any variations you have on offer.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Hi Mudbug
When I make french toast, in addition to the egg and milk I add orange zest, vanilla and brandy. When the bread is flipped, I sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the toast, and then again when it's flipped onto the plate. It's hot enough to get the sugar to 'stick' but not hot enough to melt it, so it still has a crunch.

I'd serve this with a mascarpone cheese blended with more orange zest.

I also make a grilled sandwich with pannettone, nutella and sliced strawberries.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:30 AM   #27
Head Chef

As a real lover of pannettone I am going to try all of the suggestions for it. Grilled with nutella and strawberries? Yumyum, and with cheese, I never thought of that but it sounds yummy.

I use it in bread and butter puddings occasionally, but there is rarely any left. Re challah, I ADORE challah bread and think its l most always more lovely than a normal white loaf......and it keeps better. I have not Bread and butter puddinged it simply because it rarely gets to that stage in our house, but it does make the very best french toast.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #28
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Vera, that sounds divine! I love Panettone, and make it every Christmas. It does make excellent French toast if there are leftovers....

Tags
None