"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 03-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Head Chef
Bread Service

When you go out to eat...what do you like when it comes to your "bread" service? Do you care if the bread is warmed? Do you like a basket with variety? Thanks for you input!

You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.
KAYLINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Yes, I love it when the bread is warm and the butter is soft! A variety can be good too but that poses the question of who gets the best slice of bread, me or dh? lol

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
In a diner-type restaurant, I love warm soft rolls and bialys. In regular restaurants, I like very good, soft, warm bread - olive oil and freshly grated parm and garlic is good. In Bahamas, the best was warm corn bread with jalapeno peppers-I asked for seconds!
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
i am a bread freak. i could eat bread all day, with just about every type pf meal.
when dining out, often the very first impression of the place is the type, quality and service of the bread. so if it sucks, it puts a more critical tone on the rest of the meal. even if the food rocks, it's still a strike against the place.
if it's really good, with tasty butter, or a nice evoo with pepper or herbs for dipping, then the tone is set for a great meal to come, and is remembered when thinking of planning another visit there. "hey, that's the place with the awesome bread!"

spanish/portugese and italian restaurants near me seem to have the best bread consistently.
you need it for the sauces initalian food. not a drop is wasted with good bread. dipping a piece of crusty italian bread spread with butter in sunday gravy; letting the butter melt and drip down the bread with the warm sauce is a beautiful thing to behold, and eat.
and i don't think that i've ever been to a spanish/portugese restaurant without ordering some kind of fish in mojo de ajo (garlic sauce) appetizer, usually shrimp, squid, or octopus, just to get to the leftover garlicy oil for dipping the bread. another thing of beauty.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm a bread person, you can have the dessert, just let me have the bread..Yesterday we went to an old hotel out of town for lunch..As soon as we orderd something to drink the waitress was back with a fair sized bascket of steaming foccacia,sourdough and wonderful cruncy breadsticks,coated with garlic,cheese and finley crushed pepper..Plus not wrapped in foil butter, but little remekins of shipped butter.. It made me almost sorry I'd orderd a sammie instead of the crab louie like DH did Lunch was fantastic..

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:55 AM   #6
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Im not a 'bread man' when I go out to eat. Unless Im starving that is. To me its a filler. BUT.... occasionally, if the bread is warm, I will pour olive oil in a shallow dish and put a grated hard cheese in it. But if they dont have both at the table, I wont bother.
I CAN say that I like warm buns.
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
Head Chef
Am generally not a bread sort of person.

Recently found a newly opened restaurant in our are, off the beaten track so I fear it will not make it as no other restaurant in that location has, that serves the most wonderful bread.

It is different every time we go. And always very warm.

I actually eat the stuff.

To me the bread sets the tone for the meal.

Show me a restaurant that puts some effort into the bread and I will show you a place that will serve a good meal.

At least in my humble opinion.

Some cold pieces of Italian bread and butter just don't do it.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
Head Chef
It doesn't matter if the bread is warm, what matters is that it's fresh.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer
I never expect bread when I got out to eat and never miss it if it is not served.

If it is served though, cold bread and hard butter can make a bad impression.

I love warm breads and a variety of types although variety is not all that important if the bread is really good to begin with. Hard butter is a big negative so if serving butter, make sure it is spreadable. Olive oil for dipping is great as well if you are not going the butter route.

While I do not ever expect bread at a restaurant, I do remember the places that do serve it and look forward to it when we go to those places.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
Senior Cook
I don't really care for a variety of breads in a basket, because it makes it awkward when your with a group, what if I take one somebody else would like, so a lot of time you just end up staring at each other.
Yes I like them to be warm, but is not that important.. and usually like the more darker breads, they seem more elegant.. plus more healthy. And a even number of bread compared to the amount of people there are... like if there is 4 people, then 4 or 8 breads not 5... or better yet.. I like them served individually. Also whipped butter in a container.

Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote