Bread storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my house I have baseboard heat, so stuff stored low IS warmer -- I have to store potatoes higher or they'll sprout! On the other hand, in the winter my pantry closet is almost as cold as the fridge -- in some ways a good thing, but olive and peanut oils will somewhat solidify.

I have a bread box which pretty much does it for bread we'll use everyday and crackers, but have to say that something I need to keep for longer than a few days has to be refrigerated or froze, and I agree with your observation that it stales faster but takes longer to mold. So I usually do that with something I'm planning on toasting anyway.

To control the moisture issue, whether stored in the refrigerator or on the counter, keep it in a paper bag. Only large, commercial bread factories (I hesitate to call them bakeries) use plastic. Once opened, they lose their benefit of humidity control and provide a fertile breeding ground for mold on non-chemical treated baked goods. If you go to a small, hometown bakery most, if not all, package their breads in paper.

Personally, I use an on-the-counter bread box and plan in advance the uses for any bread that I make or purchase, and figure on using it all within 3-7 days (3-4 days for home baked bread, and up to 7 days for purchased hamburger or hot dog buns.) After that, they become either French toast or croutons.

Back
Top Bottom