"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-26-2016, 01:05 AM   #31
Head Chef

Since a jar lasts me for a couple of years, I don't really need to buy in larger quantities.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:04 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

From the replies in this thread I've decided to make a sourdough starter and in the process found out that my yeast was coming into contact with my salt. I know put my yeast in before the flour. Much better results now that I have formed a barrier between the two.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbeast View Post
Thank you! That sounds exactly like what I was watching.
I'm not too clued up on baking as I've just started the journey.
As I'm moving into a very rural area I'm teaching myself quickly to bake so I always have bread.
I can recommend "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" by Elizabeth David. - all you could ever want to know about bread making past and present and lots of useful information about making it. Just be careful of her salt quantities as she uses the British equivalent of Kosher Salt which is a lot less salty than ordinary table salt.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #34
Head Chef

MadCook, you are right in that some salt is perceived as "saltier" than others, but only because of its "size" . Salt is salt and one is not saltier than another. But if the grains are different sizes - then you will actually be using more or less per measure in volume.

I'm not very good at explaining this... if someone could wade in and rescue me it would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
MadCook, you are right in that some salt is perceived as "saltier" than others, but only because of its "size" . Salt is salt and one is not saltier than another. But if the grains are different sizes - then you will actually be using more or less per measure in volume.

I'm not very good at explaining this... if someone could wade in and rescue me it would be appreciated.
You are right dragnlaw. I have both course and finely ground sea salt. The unground course tastes saltier than the fine ground. Yet they are the same salt. That is because you are actually getting a larger dose of the sea salt with the course ground.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
From the replies in this thread I've decided to make a sourdough starter and in the process found out that my yeast was coming into contact with my salt. I know put my yeast in before the flour. Much better results now that I have formed a barrier between the two.
Salt is a known inhibitor of yeast. I never add it to my yeast/flour/sugar mixture. Only to the main sifted flour pile.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:

I still like to start a sourdough starter with a sourdough starter, not just commercial yeast, I think a lot of the commercial baking yeast are highly aggressive, and leave out some of the sympathetic bacteria that make a sourdough starter sour.

Have at times had several starters going at once, so if you don't want to use say the 1847 starter, or King Arthur Flour's starter, and just want to make one from scratch, it just takes a little longer. You'll need a 2 quart container.

Then do this, real easy, just be prepared if it doesn't work the first time, if you get something that smells foul, is orange or green, it didn't work.

I'd start out with 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 cup non-chlorinated water. You'll need a 2 quart container that should be covered, but not airtight. A porcelain crock works great.

Work on this for six days, each day adding 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup water.

You should be getting something here that is about two cups, yeasty and bubbling. Use a cup in most recipes, replace it with the same proportion of water and flour, let it sit for a couple hours, if this goes in the fridge, it goes quiet, has to be woken up, dump off a cup, replace with 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup water and let develop for several hours.

Depending on what flour you use and your environment, there will be natural yeasts available or not. If you are having trouble, I'd suggest starting with a particular starter from a friend or from KAF or 1847 as above, I'll also be happy to send you a 1/4 cup of mine.

If you get mold, things have gone wrong. Sterilize, start again.

The longer you keep a starter going, the more complex and interesting it gets, that is because it accumulates local yeasts, but also helpful friendly bacteria that make that sour taste. There are often not so friendly bacteria, but you can tell if they move in by the orange tint and bad smell. Our yeast friends will kill the heck out of them 95% of the time.

It is kind of funny as if you move, your bread will suck for about two weeks, it will work, but not be as good as it was. That is because there is a yeast and bacteria battle going on in the starter. They eventually sort out their differences and make the bread even better.

TBS
Old 09-28-2016, 01:56 AM   #38
Master Chef

`i have had very good and very bad results making starters...........but when they're good they're very good and when they're bad they're very bad..........`i think that maintaining constant temps and keeping the bowl covered really does help
Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 AM   #39
Master Chef

plus it helps if you live in an area that's not really polluted aereally-wise...............the less polluted your neck of the woods probably the better chances of a good yeast-starter..........
Old 09-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
plus it helps if you live in an area that's not really polluted aereally-wise...............the less polluted your neck of the woods probably the better chances of a good yeast-starter..........
I sometimes take my sourdough starter camping, even if I'm not going to use it, just so it can get fresh air.

Yes, I am a strange duck.

But it makes sense, exposes it to new yeast and bacteria strains.

TBS

Tags
bread, other, yeast