Bread Yeast Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no idea what the differences are. I use Fleischmann's Bread Machine Yeast and buy the 4-ounce jar. I use it for everything, not just bread machine dough, and it works just fine.

Unless a blogger is a professional baker, I wouldn't take their preference to mean much. Usually when a blogger mentions a specific brand, it's because they have a financial relationship.

There is quite a bit of info in this yeasty thread, but I have a new question should I start a new thread?).

What are the differences in brands of yeast. Most bloggers and cookbook authors seem to have a preference, and it’s pretty much divided between Red Star and SAF (Red and Gold are whole nuther debate, it seems), but the most widely available brand here in Vegas is Fleischmann’s, which rarely receives a mention in the blogs or books.

What are the differences between brands? Taste? Rise efficiency? Shelf life? Or is it more a case of personal preference?
I'm in England where we have , more or less, 2 brands of "Active dried yeast - odd name as in-active yeast wouldn't be much use :)smile:) which you have to "wake up" with sugar and warm liquid - and two of the "quick" variety which go straight into the flour. And the same companies make both sorts. There isn't much difference in results although the method of use is different. It's purely my choice to use the "active" variety - for no very particular reason - but I do keep the odd sachet of the "quick" yeast in case I'm in a hurry. Always follow the "Use by" date on the packet and keep it in a screw top glass jar or a tupperware- type of container as you need to keep it away from damp

I realise you aren't in the UK but I thought the info might be useful. You haven't had bread until you've tasted home-made. Good luck.

Last edited:
For me, there are only 2 kinds as far as the results I've seen - Live and dead. Live is good. Dead not so much. ;)

Actually I have used 2 kinds - instant or quick yeast, aimed at the inflexible time frame of the bread machine; and active, which is what I use for pretty much everything including bread machine recipes. I don't use the packets because many of the breads I've made don't call for using that much yeast. Each packet is 2½ teaspoons, and recipes like my ciabatta only call for 1½ teaspoons for 3 loaves. What do I do with the leftover teaspoon? With the jar, I just measure out what I need.

Regular active yeast work seems fine without proofing it, but I usually do that anyway for insurance. It only takes 5 to 10 minutes to proof your yeast in a cup or less of warm (about 110°F) water. You can feed the yeast by adding 1/2 tsp of sugar to it if you like - that won't change the taste or texture of your bread - but it seems to be about the same whether I add sugar or not. The yeast and water still get sort of creamy looking and that tells me that the yeast is doing okay.

I keep my jar of Red Star in the freezer to help it last longer. I've had a jar for as long as 1½ years still going strong. Using water that is too hot, or too much salt before the rise, can kill your yeast too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom