"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-22-2005, 12:23 AM   #1
Head Chef

Buttering Sandwich Bread

When I was a child, very many years ago, any sandwich started with bread and a layer of butter, before the filling was emplaced.

And they sure tasted good.

When I grew up, I did not butter the bread, I suppose because we were told butter was not good for us.

Recently I remembered the buttering step, and tried it again.

It added so much to the taste of the sandwich.

It doesn't seem to matter if it is PB&J or a bologna or roast beef sandwich, the butter adds a layer of flavor that I am not about to go without.

Was just wondering if anyone else butters their bread before they toss on the P&P loaf (one of my favorites) or their favorite sandwich filling.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:33 AM   #2
Head Chef

When I visit my grandmother-in-law she goes one step further to butter the bread AND put mayo on it. It's so good!

Old 09-22-2005, 12:44 AM   #3
Master Chef

When I was a kid I used to help my mom make my dad's lunches. His favorite sandwich was bread buttered on both sides. Then ketchup was spread on top of one of the sides and sweet relish on the other. And then the sandwich meat was placed in the middle.

My mom doesn't let him have the butter anymore and the ketchup is on both sides.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom always buttered the bread for peanut butter sandwiches. I always thought that was weird, but now I think I will try it.

Barbara
Old 09-22-2005, 03:12 AM   #5
Head Chef

I am the weird one who doesn't like butter on stuff like sammiches or toast because then all I taste is butter and not the goodness of the bread or what I put inside of it.

But I come from a family of butter slatherers! My son included. No butter = no can eat for all of them.

Z
Old 09-22-2005, 07:38 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yes!! I am a big butter fan... would never use any kind of substitutes and one of those things with which I can happily say "to He11 with healthy eating" yes butter on the sandwich really adds a mellow "melt in your mouth" flavour, one of the best is to add to smoked salmon and creamcheese sandwich!! ahhhhhhh!!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #7
Executive Chef

When I was in college, my instructors taught me that buttering the inside of a sandwich serves two purposes:

1) forming a moisture barrier to keep the bread from getting soggy.
2) Flavor.

Mayo will perform the same function as the butter for a moisture barrier. Every restaurant I've worked at uses mayo. I'm not a mayo fan, but I've never tried using butter.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I use very little butter these days; mostly reserved for cooking. On a sandwich I am such a cheese-a-holic I put my calories there. On plain bread served at dinner I really like olive oil to dip. However, there are places where butter must be...1) pancakes and waffles 2) hot biscuits 3) savory scones

However I understand the butter on sandwich thing...but I would just go for another huge hunk of cheddar!!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Hey Robo, if you are a "cheese on a bread" type, have you tried Robiola or Stracchino (if they are not available, some other soft creamy cheese, well like philadelphia will do) mixed with dash of chopped fresh herbs, like chives, flat leaved parsley, and dill on a fresh baked baguette? It taste heavenly I could eat a whole baguette with this!!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #10
Head Chef

Butter everything and the more the better.

Tags
None