Can you reactivate baking powder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dang! Well, since so much seems to go to waste, I think I’ll start making my own when needed.

You can make your own baking powder by combing 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, this equals I tsp of bp.

A little googling determined that c of t has an indefinite shelf life.

And thanks, Pie, for answering so promptly.

It's so cheap that I would not even mess with creating my own and risk a recipe's failure. Just my opinion. Anything under a couple of bucks gets tossed at its expiration date.

You can make your own baking powder by combing 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, this equals I tsp of bp.

Unless I'm missing something, if you combine 1/4 teaspoon of a powdered ingredient with 1/2 teaspoon of a similar powdered ingredient, you end up with 3/4 teaspoon of the two ingredients. In order to create a full teaspoon, you will need to mix up more.

And, I agree with Joe. Buy fresh. It's too cheap to risk possible failure.

We've been buying small cans of Rumford "Premium Aluminum-Free" Double Acting Baking Powder made by Clabber Girl. About $1 or so per can. Only 4 ounces, good for over a year according to the date on the can. Works well, not much chance of wasting any or having it go stale given the small size. If we use it up, we know the new can will be fresh.

Interestingly, it has only three ingredients: monocalcium phosphate, bicarbonate of soda, and cornstarch (probably to keep it from clumping).

Unless I'm missing something, if you combine 1/4 teaspoon of a powdered ingredient with 1/2 teaspoon of a similar powdered ingredient, you end up with 3/4 teaspoon of the two ingredients. In order to create a full teaspoon, you will need to mix up more.

I believe smoothseas meant 1 part baking powder to 2 parts cream of tarter.

Back
Top Bottom