Can't get bread to rise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for this. I should know how to deal with dry yeast as I am a home brewer with over 50 years of experience.

I have got Allisons Dried yeast. It states on the instructions: 1tsp sugar in 150ml of warm water 1 part boiling 2 parts cold. No temperature value mentioned. I have tried this in a mixture of warm milk and sugar (35c). There is no sign of yeast activation.

Last edited:
35C should be fine. I find I see some working beasties in less than a minute and by 5 I have very good action and a good head of foam.

How old is the yeast?

I have got Allisons Dried yeast. It states on the instructions: 1tsp sugar in 150ml of warm water 1 part boiling 2 parts cold. No temperature value mentioned. I have tried this in a mixture of warm milk and sugar (35c). There is no sign of yeast activation.
Sounds to me like those yeasties are dead. :(

This method is sort of hit or miss, since it can vary a lot depending on how cold your tap water is. Also, boiling temperature changes with elevation.

I shoot for 110°F or 43°C (most recipes that call for this specify about that temp - I have one for dinner rolls that calls for 120°F - 49°C, but that is added directly to the dry ingredients without proofing). 35°C is a bit low - at less than body temperature it would even feel cool to touch, while it should feel warm. I usually nuke the water in the microwave for about 10 seconds at a time until it hits 105°-110°F with my instant read thermometer, then add the yeast and sugar. I also only add 1/2 tsp of sugar unless the recipe calls for more. 1/2 tsp will give the yeast something to feed on without changing the flavor of the bread.

I also keep my yeast in the freezer to keep it fresh, then measure out what I need and let it sit on the counter for 5 minutes to "thaw". I'm not sure that really matters, but at least it doesn't chill the proofing liquid as much.

Last edited:
I find that my dry yeast does better if it has both flour AND sugar to feed off of. And I make sure the temp is always between 110ºF-120ºF. Never have had a fail yet. When you add the warm water, the yeast come alive. So just a pinch of sugar and a larger pinch of flour should suffice. Within five minutes you should have a full bloom of the yeast. :angel:

Last edited:
I find that my dry yeast does better if it has both flour AND sugar to feed off of. And I make sure the temp is always between 110ºF-120ºF. Never have had a fail yet. When you add the warm water, the yeast come alive. So just a pinch of sugar and a larger pinch of flour should suffice. Within five minutes you should have a full bloom of the yeast. :angel:

If one has the time, it's a good idea to make a poolish or biga (also called a sponge) to proof and develop the yeast. It can be made anywhere from 2 hours to a day ahead of when you want to start mixing the dough, and gives the yeast a little more time to ferment.

I usually make a poolish in the bowl of my KA mixer the evening before I'm going to make ciabatta, and leave it out on the counter covered overnight. That way its ready to just add the rest of the ingredients and mix and knead with the dough hook. :chef:

Last edited:
If one has the time, it's a good idea to make a poolish or biga (also called a sponge) to proof and develop the yeast. It can be made anywhere from 2 hours to a day ahead of when you want to start mixing the dough, and gives the yeast a little more time to ferment.

I usually make a poolish in the bowl of my KA mixer the evening before I'm going to make ciabatta, and leave it out on the counter covered overnight. That way its ready to just add the rest of the ingredients and mix and knead with the dough hook. :chef:

I have done that too. But I think the best one I ever made was from grapes. They were covered in wild yeast and made the most delicious poolish. It took about a week for all of the grapes to be eaten by the yeast. But I had me some glorious loaves of bread from those grapes inspired yeast. I kept feeding it each day with flour and just a pinch of sugar. I also had to add some additional warm water a couple of times. I did have to skip one day as it was growing out of control. I transferred it to a bigger container. I used the final piece for a huge large family size pizza. :angel:

You folks are something special. My kind of folk. :angel:

It took me s while to figure it, thanks for your post, it don on me that it was a joke. I didn't know what "blue pils were". Guess I'm not old enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

It took me s while to figure it, thanks for your post, it don on me that it was a joke. I didn't know what "blue pils were". Guess I'm not old enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Congratulations! You are then the lucky one! :angel:

has the package of dried yeast been open for a while? Is it out of date? Been kept it a too warm area? It could have just got tired and given up the ghost? I store mine in an airtight container in the 'fridge.

1 part boiling to 2 parts cold water is what I usually allow and if you use yeast in beer making you would know to let it stand for 10 minutes or so, so it isn't that.

It sounds as though the yeast is faulty. I use Allinsons dried yeast and don't have any problems with it normally. I also use Doves Farm fast acting yeast which is OK but not quite as reliable as Allinsons IMO

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom