Categorizing bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I’d like to create a list of bread categories, not types of bread, that would be useless, but categories under which one could organize the myriad of bread types. I’ve searched the Internet, and only found lists of typesof bread.

What kinds of categories were you considering? By ingredient such as yeast vs. chemical leavening? By shape such as baguette vs. boulé? By types of flour?

What kinds of categories were you considering? By ingredient such as yeast vs. chemical leavening? By shape such as baguette vs. boulé? By types of flour?
Sweet breads, fortified breads, flat breads, basic breads. Like that.

Add Quick Breads category such as banana bread, corn bread and biscuits.

Not sure what you mean by basic breads, but the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" has a chapter on European peasant breads.

Not sure what you mean by basic breads, but the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" has a chapter on European peasant breads.
I guess, then, that peasant breads would be a category, n’est pas? I think I’ve got that book. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

You want useful information on bread? Here, this should keep you busy for a while: Modernist Bread: The Art and Science

9780982761052_p0_v10_s550x406.jpg

Thanks, but I can barely afford to buy flour, let alone a $500+ set of cooking texts! Maybe I should do go fund me, lol!

Have you considered asking your local library if they have it or could find it for you? Then you can use your printer's scanner to copy only the recipes you are interested in.

Just make sure that if you share any of those recipes online, that you alter the wording of the directions. And even having done that, it wouldn't hurt to give credit to the author and the name of the book at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom