Hi Yorkie, I dont' know about using a bread machine for this recipe. I am assuming you can do that, but hopefully someone more experienced w/ bread machines can answer that question. I used a stand mixer w/ a dough hook.
Here is the recipe:
1 1/4 c skim milk
2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp butter, room temp
2 tsp active dry yeast (I used 1 pkg)
2 tsp salt
3 1/2 - 4 c flour (i only needed 3 1/2)
melted butter for glazing
1. heat milk until lukewarm, test temp with your knuckle. Pour into bowl & stir in sugar, butter & yeast. Let sit for 15 min.
2. stir in egg & salt into yeast mixture. Gradually add 3 1/2c flour. Add just enough extra flour to obtain rough dough.
3. knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic. place in greased bowl, cover and set in warm place until doubled in volume (approx 1 1/2 hours). Grease 2 12c muffin pans.
4. punch down dough. cut into four equal pieces. roll ea piece into a rope 14 in long. cut rope into 18 pieces then roll each into a ball.
5. place 3 balls, side by side in each muffin cup. cover loosely and let rise in warm place until doubled in volume (approx 1/2 hr)
6. preheat oven 400 degrees. brush w/ melted butter. bake appox 20 min until lightly browned. (My oven only needed 15 minutes)