Cheddar-Vidalia Beer Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Been making this and it's been a huge hit!

Cheddar-Vidalia Beer Bread

Makes 1 regular loaf or 4 mini loaves

3 cups self-rising flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 12-0z can beer (your choice! - I've been using Miller Draft)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar + 1/3 cup of same
1 Vidalia onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons minced chives

Oven at 350; oil or butter a loaf pan.

Saute the onion in some olive oil til translucent and just starting to get brown.

In a large bowl, mix the 1 cup shredded cheese w/the flour and sugar to get the cheese all coated with flour. Add the beer, onions and chives. Pour into loaf pan and sprinkle with the 1/3 cup of cheddar.

Bake for about 50 minutes; let it cool if you can stand it!:)

Looks like a yummy bread. "im not a baker and don't know that much about the different flours. What is the difference between self rising and regulag flour. Can I use regular flor in this recipe and add the yeast?

Self-rising flour has salt and baking powder added to it, which is what gives it the 'rise'; there is no yeast in this bread, it's like a quick bread. Somewhere on the boards there is a post with what you need to sub regular flour for the self-rising.

You should be able to find 'self-rising' flour in the grocery store on the main flour shelf; most big flour companies are making it now.

This is a totally foolproof recipe for folks who don't bake or make bread much - try it!

Thanks Marm,

I've been wanting to make some bread..This looks just the thing..
kadesma:)

Sounds like just what I need this weekend. I do need to find the sub for self rising flour.
I have bread flour, all purpose, whole wheat, cake and 10 grain. Not much room for another.

Can I make this without using the beer?

Maybe try O'Doul's? Without the yeasty flavor of beer, it really wouldn't be the same (or "beer bread").

I did see that someone tried fermented cider in a similar recipe.

How about club soda or seltzer?

Where IS marmalady? I'm going to make this recipe for football season!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom