Chicken Salad Sandwich Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mittshel

Cook
I made some chicken salad for sandwiches from some left over chicken. Added feta cheese, mayo, celery, S & P, a little olive oil, dash of thyme. I think that is all. Thought I could make a recipe up and it is not bad except it is very dry. Will try whatever you lovely ladies and gents think including a whole different recipe. Thank you. Betsy.

I mix white and dark meat, scallions or red onion (just a tad), celery, maybe some bell pepper, sometimes sweet peas and alot of salt and pepper. Mix it up with a fork to break up the meat a little. Only enough mayo to just coat everything or I'll get a stomach ache. lol

EDIT: I made the tuna salad on the side of the Melba toast box, came out awesome. Tuna, celery, red onion, pickle, mayo salt/pepper.

And let's assume you are starting with chicken that was moist to begin with....

Me, I would add more mayo. I love a lot of mayo in my chicken, tuna or egg salad.

I would add a little more mayo too. Personally, I also add sweet pickle relish to my chicken and tuna salad which adds a little moisture as well. I sometimes also add a small squeeze of mustard for a little color and that subtle vinegar bite mustard has.

Mayo, Mustard, or a combination of the two.... Maybe some Dijonnaise...Any of these could be thinned a bit with pickle or olive juice...or maybe a squeeze of lemon.

Have Fun!

I love chicken salad. Like it with celery, green onions (scallions) sometimes halved grapes in it, sometimes hb eggs. Like a mayo-based dressing with Dijon mustard added, but not too heavy a dressing.

When I was catering, we used to do a Mango Chicken Salad that was delicious. :chef:

I'm guessing you didn't add enough mayo to your dressing.

Hmmm a little pickle juice or lemon juice might help, but I wouldn't add extra olive oil.......

Last edited:
Looks like pickle relish is the answer. The chicken was very moist the night I cooked it, but yes it did seem rather dry in the sandwich. Thanks for all your help. Betsy.

Jason's ______

Maybe a little pineapple ? Jason's Deli (not really a fan) puts that in their chicken salad & I swear that's the only good thing in the place. Anyway, I think it adds a nice touch - everything above sounds tasty, too. Makes me hungry just thinking about it. :)

Maybe a little pineapple ? Jason's Deli (not really a fan) puts that in their chicken salad & I swear that's the only good thing in the place. Anyway, I think it adds a nice touch - everything above sounds tasty, too. Makes me hungry just thinking about it. :)
That's the kind I make, too. It's just chicken, slivered almonds, crushed pineapple and mayo. Yum!

I made some chicken salad for sandwiches from some left over chicken. Added feta cheese, mayo, celery, S & P, a little olive oil, dash of thyme. I think that is all. Thought I could make a recipe up and it is not bad except it is very dry. Will try whatever you lovely ladies and gents think including a whole different recipe. Thank you. Betsy.

Chicken salad can have a dry mouth feel if the pieces of chicken are too big. Try cutting the chicken up into smaller pieces, between a quarter- and half-inch cubes.

Pugger, first, don't think traditional, meaning; don't use bread.

I use lettuce leaves; either romain, or iceberg, like a roll-up.

I peel and cut an apple up into smaller than chunks, but bigger than a dice.(see note below)
Then I place them in about a TBS. of lemon juice so they don't brown, while preparing the rest.
I chop, oh, maybe a 1/4 cup of walnuts (pecans or almonds would be ok, too)
If I have those small red grapes, I take maybe 6-8 and
halve.
Note: If I don't have grapes, I use a more sweet type apple. If I have grapes, a more tart type apple.
Cut up a stalk of celery into chunks splitting down center, long ways, then slice in chunks.
Cut up chicken into chunks.

Place chicken, walnuts, and celery into bowl, adding some salt and pepper.
Add a generous amount of mayonnaise and toss.
Drain apples and add, with grapes, and toss gently.
Refridgerate about an hour.

Lay out lettuce leaves, place a large scoop of chicken salad on each leaf, in center of leaf.
Let each person fold and roll up the lettuce.

Eat, drink and be merry!!!!!!

I added the pickle relish to the chicken salad and it is delicious. Thanks everyone for the help. Betsy.

I'm thinking Andy hit on a very good point, too.
If the chicken pieces aren't broken up enough it could taste dry. Like eating all the sauce off your chicken and having nothing left but the meat.

Making me hungry !!

That is really making me hungry, I'd love to get the recipe :chef:

I'm thinking Andy hit on a very good point, too.
If the chicken pieces aren't broken up enough it could taste dry. Like eating all the sauce off your chicken and having nothing left but the meat.

I agree with Andy too. I tend to stick to the basics with my chicken salad. I like to buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, take all the meat from the bones and skin, combine with mayo, celery that is diced very small, a little celery seed, and green onion diced very small, salt and pepper.

I use a toasted bagel, with a slice of swiss cheese on the bottom (to cover the hole in the bagel), then chicken salad, lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, then the top of the bagel. Yum! :)

Back
Top Bottom