"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 12-19-2005, 06:56 AM   #1
Master Chef
Christmas Tree Failure

Ya know, a few successes and a guy starts feeling invincible. I mad a loaf of bread in the shape of a christmas tree. I increased the sugar in the recipe but found myself lacking sufficient yeast in the house to do it properly. This recipe required 9 cups of flour to produce the amount of dough I wanted.

To make a long story short, too little rise time, and insufficient ingredient amounts resulted ina a very good tasting, but heavy and tough bread. I am so dissapointed with myself. so for the pot-luck, I'm going to have to do something I've never done before. I'm going to go to the pastry shop and by a box of doughnuts today.

Taht whole thing about preperation, make sure you follow it. Purchase your supplies before it's crunch time. Make sure you have your plan well thought out. Don't rely on your ability to wing it. Remember, the best thing about cooking, is the smile on the faces of those who eat your food.

I have pulled off so many dishes that weren't planned properly. It was time for a fall to bring me back to reality. Don't let this be you!
And, Have a Merry Christmas.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:03 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Goodweed, I'm sorry to hear that you bread did not work out, I know what a drag it can be to have a recipe faulter and crash You're experince did lead you to post some very handy tips though, and a great line that I totally agree with "Remember, the best thing about cooking, is the smile on the faces of those who eat your food."

Don't get down on yourself about the bread, it can happen to anyone

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
GW!! I know myself too well the "agony of defeat" in such cases, especially bread baking is a really tricky business even if you have a dependable bread making machine...

Well, you can still salvage the situation, why don't you deck up that mass of "thingy" and make a table top decoration out of it?? I know there are many stunning looking creations on confectioner's shop windows, but doubtful if they would taste as stunning as they look!!
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote