Cinnamon Rolls: The series - changing fats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Livingston

Assistant Cook
I'm a novice baker and am using a cinnamon roll recipe I've used for holiday gifts and general use for some years now and can produce fairly consistent results. I'm using that recipe to ask some basic questions to learn a bit more.

This thread is about the choice of fats in the recipe (attached). The recipe calls for either 3/4 cup vegetable oil or 3/4 cup combined of shortening and butter. I have only tried (until today) the oil version. What should happen if I change to the shortening/butter?

I prepared a batch (which will sit in the refrigerator overnight before baking) using 1/4 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup of butter. I first noticed that I had a more difficult time getting the amount of flour right during kneading. I also noticed that the dough seemed more elastic which made it a little more difficult to roll out. I'll find out tomorrow what happens when baked (and, of course, tasted!)

What should you expect when you make this kind of change in the ingredients? What would happen if the fats were increased? Decreased?

Will the crumb or texture of the finished rolls change and, if so, how?

Thanks

I'm a learning sponge.

Livingston

Attachments

• Cinnamon Rolls Original.pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 356
Back
Top Bottom