"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 01-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Cinnamon Toast

Something so simple but so good. I made it yesterday for my book club refreshments and everyone loved it. Iused to make this recipe all the time, and had forgotten about it until recently.

Cream 2 sticks of butter with 1 1/2C white sugar. Add cinnamon--can't give an exact amount but don't skimp. I added just a little vanilla this time.
Spread on bread. Bake at 350* for about 20 minutes. Check the bottom of the bread to make sure it has started to brown. Remove and cut into triangles while still hot. This will keep in a closed tin/tupperware very well.
My kitchen is cool and the butter was a bit stiff for spreading so I nuked it a little. It was perfect for spreading a nice thin layer of the mixture.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I remember having cinnamon toast back in the 70s while on vacation in the Rockies with my parents. I loved it, had it almost every morning. I've loved it ever since. My kids, now 21 and 18 are particularly fond of it, as well. I found an easire way to make it, however.

I simply make toast in the toaster, and then spread the toast with butter. Then, I sprinkle cinnamon sugar (I always keep a tupperware of the stuff in my cabinet) right onto the hot toast. Cut and serve.

When they'd come home from school on blustery winter afternoons, I'd have hot chocolate and cinnamon sugar waffles waiting for them! Same thing as toast, just using waffles from the freezer.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Is there anything more delicious on a cold afternoon than hot chocolate and cinnamon toast? Wow, it's been a long time for me since I had it but you can bet I'll have some today. I make mine the same way, a slice of good toasted rustic bread, butter and cinnamon sugar mixture. Simple, and ooooh so good.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Wow memories! Cinnamon toasts made by my "Nanna" she always had it made in her cupboard too. Thanks for the reminder, I will make it for my grand kids.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Cook

When I was a child we didn't have a toaster, and my parents made cinnamon toast by putting dots of butter on bread in each corner and the center, like a domino. Then sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar we kept in a shaker. Then toasted under the broiler. It was bubbly on the spots and toasted only on the top, soft on the bottom. Very good. I had forgotten that. Thanks for the post.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yes, this stuff is delicious. I usually make mine on griddle though... also brown sugar in place of regular sugar adds some extra flavour
Old 01-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My mom used to keep a shaker of cinnamon and sugar on the kitchen table, and we often made cinnamon toast by buttering freshly made toast and then sprinkling the mixture on the hot toast with the melty butter... YUM!

These days, I make a Cinnamon Swirl Bread that is whole wheat, and I put toasted pecan pieces in before I roll up the loaves...
Old 01-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
Sous Chef

How very curious cinnamon toast would be brot up at this time...last weekend in the trailer at the beach, I wanted something for dessert and was feeling quite lazy, when I happened to remember cinnamon toast from my (and my kid's) childhood and fixed a couple pieces. I was so surprised that my husband had never heard of nor eaten this!! (what a deprived childhood!) He liked it so much, we had it again with breakfast the next morning.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
Head Chef

My mom always made cinnamon toast for me when I was young. I still make it just the way she does: white bread, buttered on one side, sprinkle with sugar, sprinkle with cinnamon, then sprinkle with sugar again. Under the broiler it goes till bubbly and the edges of the toast are brown. Her rule: don't skimp on butter, sugar or cinnamon!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #10
Head Chef

I love the idea os cinnamon toast. Presumably it is better with a certain sort of bread?

Tags
None