"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 07-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandraItaly
I did it before but you have to order at least one pound and it goes bad very fast.
Cake yeast is not as popular here in the US as it once was ... for the reasons you noted ... it has to be refrigerated and it has a short shelf-life. Even in commercial applications that once were the heaviest users of cake yeast - the trend now seems to be more toward dry "instant" yeasts.

Dry yeast products will generally give you a conversion factor ... from cake to their "dry" product.

Of course - if you are a baker who wants to work with weight measurements you might find this Cake/Active Dry/Instant Dry conversion tabel of some use.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:22 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to AlessandraItaly
Thank you ...that table will be very useful.
What you mentioned is one of the big differences I had to deal with when moving here. I was used to do my grocery on a daily basis (only what was necessary for that day) or every 2 days max. Especially with fruits and vegetables I was used to consume them pretty fast or else they would go bad. Here I found produce that lasts forver in your refrigerator and that made me feel suspicious. It is also true that here people have to deal with great distances in most cases and it would be impossible to go grocery shopping more than once or twice every 2 weeks. I did find places where everything is fresh though and I can manage to mix both cultures in my grocery

The is no food that is bad for you, what is bad is how you use it, or better, abuse it. Even water could kill you if you drink too much of it. Keep it fresh, varied and simple. Extra vergin olive oil is what makes the big difference...you can abuse that
http://www.slowfood.com/ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AlessandraItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

You might also try bakeries in your area. They might sell it to you.
Quote:
I am a worshiper of the Son
!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:01 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to AlessandraItaly
That is a great idea...Thank you
The is no food that is bad for you, what is bad is how you use it, or better, abuse it. Even water could kill you if you drink too much of it. Keep it fresh, varied and simple. Extra vergin olive oil is what makes the big difference...you can abuse that
http://www.slowfood.com/ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AlessandraItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandraItaly
In Italy every grocery store has the little yeast cake cubes and that is the only yeast we use for pizza or bread. We use it dry only for backing cakes or cookies and it is a particular kind of yeast not like the one I find here. I tried to make pizza with dry yeast but it does not taste the same. I guess this is one thing I will have to give up.
Allessandra, pizza here in US will not taste like pizza in Italy, even if you can find the cake yeast. It's not the yeast, it's both the flour here and the water. As for cake yest, like the dry, you can store it in your freezer and it iwill keep a looooooooong time!

I use SAF dry yeast for baking -- there are two different kinds, for breads and for sweet doughs -- and I keep it in the freezer. If you are going to be living here, it is probably a good idea to get comfortable with using dry yeast. Better than giving up making pizza, for sure!

Tags
None