"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 06-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Corn Tortillas HELP!

I bought about 50 corn tortillas. They taste grainy. How do you make a good taco out of these things? Its all falling apart. I eat it raw and the thing is like a firecracker on the 4th of July.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sushi, corn tortillas are going to be a bit grainy because they are quite different from flour tortillas. That's because cornmeal is grainy and flour is very soft and smooth.

You aren't really going to end up with "smooth" tortillas if you use the corn ones. That's part of their character and charm.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Corn tortillas are usually fried to make tacos.What brand did you get?Soft tacos are usually made from flour tortillas at least where I live..
www.mexgrocer.com/528-the-basics-on-how-to-make-tacos.html - 24k
Old 06-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Hmmmmmmmm..... should I fry them? Oh boy. Not sure how to use there things.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Briefly fry your corn tortillas in oil to soften them. This way they won't fall apart as you handle them. That's for "soft" corn tortillas.

If you have a deep-fryer deep enough, or a deep enough pot, not to mention a large quantity of oil, you can get a "mold" that you use to fry corn tortillas into the familiar taco shape.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Frying them is easy. All you need is a skillet large enough for the tortillas to fit in and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of hot oil and some tongs.

Heat the oil until a cube of bread crisps up, then gently put a tortilla in the pan with the tongs. Watch, because it doesn't take very long for one side to cook. Quickly turn over, cook just a bit. Remove with the tongs and if you want "curved" taco shells, drape them over a wooden spoon that is resting on a couple of glasses. Once cooled, you can remove the taco "shell" from the spoon and continue making more.

You can also cut the tacos into quarters or more and make your own taco chips to serve with guacamole.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Sushi,
I fry mine, slide it into the hot oil, with tongs, keep a hold on it as it starts to puff, turn it over let fry a min more for soft ones..Then upon taking it from the oil place on a paper toweled cookie sheet folding it in half with the tongs. I then just set them folded side down and line um up til all are done, put in the filling pop in a 400 oven for 3-4 min to re-heat and serve...If you want the crunchy ones just do the same thing but when you turn it the first time fold it in half and let each side crisp as firm as you want it.
kadesma
Old 06-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I bought about 50 corn tortillas. They taste grainy. How do you make a good taco out of these things? Its all falling apart. I eat it raw and the thing is like a firecracker on the 4th of July.
Are these tortillas commercially prepared or home made. If commercial prepared in my experience there are always directions on the package. I just drop them on a hot griddle for 20 seconds or so, flip them over 10 seconds or so and cover with a towel. These are going to be soft and fairly pliable. If you want them crispy or crunchier you have to fry in grease or oil on both sides, wrap in a paper towel and fold in half while they are still hot.

The reason I ask if they are homemade is that the toughest part of making corn tortillas from scratch is grinding the soaked corn fine enough. If you don't they are going to be very very grainy no matter what you do. I doubt that's the case because virtually nobody makes their own homemade masa for tortillas. Usually if they are made at home they're made with instant masa, masa harina.

As for "hotter for than a firecracker" I don't understand at all. The only ingredients in a corn tortilla should be corn, lime, water and maybe salt. They should be fairly bland or the very good ones will taste like corn.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
Executive Chef

How funny I forgot Im making tacos tonight but I buy them already to go El Paso brand you just pop in oven to crisp up good add fillings and you are done no messing with a fry pan and oil.On the other hand I do fry corn tortillas for tostados much better then store bought they seem to be stale if you buy them already done as for the tacos they must have a higher turnover so they are always fresher.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Like jpmcgrew, I always fry up store bought corn tortillas for tostados; most times I will fry and shape them for tacos too. But I do have to agree on the Old El Paso made ones being easy when I don't feel like frying up my own.

Tags
None