"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #31
Head Chef

Colorful corn bread, Cheese, jalapeņos, & colored corn kernels. Cooked in an aluminum cast dutch oven.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Colorful corn bread, Cheese, jalapeno's, & colored corn kernels.
Nice!

A slice of that and a salad would make a great meal!

Old 02-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Oh my. I just made a rhetorical statement. In fact, we recently returned from a wonderful vacation in the Ft Lauderdale area. Didn't see any cornbread on any menus. But then, in fairness, it most likely would be found in BBQ resto's and BBQ isn't DxW's favored cuisine. We did have some nice fresh fish and shrimp dinners. And yes, as snowbirds, we did take advantage of Early Bird Specials a couple times. and we probably drove like tourists too. My apologies. And just to let you know, we will be back.

Now for today's question. What is the best way to Re-heat / use up leftover cornbread. I have been cutting slices in longer 1 inch or so thick fingers. Lay on a pat of butter and run in the microwave long enough to soften the butter and the cornbread incidentally gets warmish. Not like fresh out of the oven warm, but not so heated that it gets tough like bread does in the microwave. Any other suggestions. Even if I use a Jiffy box and make a small pan, there will be leftovers. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #34
Master Chef

I like to reheat mine in a cast iron frying pan.

I split the squares and butter them or put some bacon grease in the pan and then put the slices face down and let them slowly brown and crisp up. Then a dollop of jam or a little honey on them.

IMO the leftover cornbread for breakfast is better than the first time around at dinner!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Somewhere between this thread and the one about Stovetop Stuffing croutons, it occurred to me to make cornbread croutons to put on taco or chicken tortilla soup. Otherwise, I wrap it in foil to prevent drying out and reheat in the toaster oven.

Aunt Bea, I know people who crumble it up and eat it like cereal with sugar and milk! like the bacon grease idea, too!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Somewhere between this thread and the one about Stovetop Stuffing croutons, it occurred to me to make cornbread croutons to put on taco or chicken tortilla soup. Otherwise, I wrap it in foil to prevent drying out and reheat in the toaster oven.

Aunt Bea, I know people who crumble it up and eat it like cereal with sugar and milk! like the bacon grease idea, too!
Shrek puts buttermilk over his cornbread with salt & pepper, then eats that for breakfast.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Yep, my DH loves leftover cornbread with buttermilk too. Never developed the taste for that myself.

My MIL made the best fried cornbread with just Martha White buttermilk cornbread mix and water. She added water until it achieved the right consistency and slid tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Well, lard. Maybe that's why mine is never as good as hers was, lack of lard.

My everyday cornbread is made by sticking a cast iron pan into the oven at 410 degrees with about three tablespoons of bacon grease. While that is heating up, mix two cups of the Martha White buttermilk cornbread mix with one egg and about a cup of water or milk. Buttermilk is better if you have it. When the oil is almost smoking, pull out of the oven and add the wet mix. It should sizzle.

Back into the oven for 17 minutes. Check it. If the top is not golden, just a minute or so under the broiler will brown it up. Take out, put it on a plate and throw a clean dishtowel over it until ready to eat.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #38
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I use the Jiffy Mix, add 1 T sugar, green chilies and shredded Mexican Cheese. Perfect Corn Bread!
Green chilies? Is this like the jalopena or Poblano? Maybe Anaheim, yes? Are these mild or warmer?

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Green chilies? Is this like the jalopena or Poblano? Maybe Anaheim, yes? Are these mild or warmer?

With love,
~Cat
Anaheim or Poblano, I don't do too hot...
Old 02-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Anaheim or Poblano, I do do too hot...
Interesting turn of phrase. I've had that happen.

runs and hides

Tags
bread, corn, cornbread