"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2019, 03:35 AM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Bacon fat, chopped bacon and balsamic vinegar makes some mighty fine sprouts!
I read once that since real Balsamic Vinegar is beyond the average pay check, that if you buy a reasonably inexpensive bottle of so called balsamic vinegar and boil it down, the thicker it gets, the closer to the real thing it will taste. Since I have never tasted real Balsamic Vinegar, I have no way of knowing if this really works. I did try a very small taste of a cheap bottle of so called balsamic vinegar and it was brutal. Anything you can do something with that bottle has to be an improvement.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:37 AM   #82
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I read once that since real Balsamic Vinegar is beyond the average pay check, that if you buy a reasonably inexpensive bottle of so called balsamic vinegar and boil it down, the thicker it gets, the closer to the real thing it will taste. Since I have never tasted real Balsamic Vinegar, I have no way of knowing if this really works. I did try a very small taste of a cheap bottle of so called balsamic vinegar and it was brutal. Anything you can do something with that bottle has to be an improvement.
It is all real balsamic. Aging creates better, thicker versions. You can buy what I call the "table" version, which is what I use for sprouts, or a 120 year old version where a drop is all that is needed, a special occasion condiment, not to be cooked with.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm glad so many people enjoy Brussel Sprouts and I'm happy for you.

Balsamic vinegar, even the kind we can afford, is a great enhancement for many foods and I wouldn't be without it. Try a little of it drizzled on a bowl of sliced strawberries for a tasty treat Addie.

Kicking the programing back to Cornbread....

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Quote:
It is all real balsamic. Aging creates better, thicker versions. You can buy what I call the "table" version, which is what I use for sprouts, or a 120 year old version where a drop is all that is needed, a special occasion condiment, not to be cooked with.
No, the cheap balsamic in the grocery store is not made using the traditional ingredients and methods. You can read about the differences here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar

I don't know that real balsamic is "beyond the average paycheck," but it's not cheap. You don't have to use very much in order to get good flavor, though. I buy it a few times a year from a store that specializes in vinegars and olive oils. Boiling supermarket balsamic will not result in anything near the authentic flavor.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:32 AM   #85
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
No, the cheap balsamic in the grocery store is not made using the traditional ingredients and methods. You can read about the differences here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar

I don't know that real balsamic is "beyond the average paycheck," but it's not cheap. You don't have to use very much in order to get good flavor, though. I buy it a few times a year from a store that specializes in vinegars and olive oils. Boiling supermarket balsamic will not result in anything near the authentic flavor.
That is if you buy it at the grocery store.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That is if you buy it at the grocery store.
Of course. I thought that's what Addie was referring to - "a reasonably inexpensive bottle of so-called balsamic vinegar."

Tags
bread, corn, cornbread