Cornbread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bacon fat, chopped bacon and balsamic vinegar makes some mighty fine sprouts!:yum:

I read once that since real Balsamic Vinegar is beyond the average pay check, that if you buy a reasonably inexpensive bottle of so called balsamic vinegar and boil it down, the thicker it gets, the closer to the real thing it will taste. Since I have never tasted real Balsamic Vinegar, I have no way of knowing if this really works. I did try a very small taste of a cheap bottle of so called balsamic vinegar and it was brutal. Anything you can do something with that bottle has to be an improvement.

I read once that since real Balsamic Vinegar is beyond the average pay check, that if you buy a reasonably inexpensive bottle of so called balsamic vinegar and boil it down, the thicker it gets, the closer to the real thing it will taste. Since I have never tasted real Balsamic Vinegar, I have no way of knowing if this really works. I did try a very small taste of a cheap bottle of so called balsamic vinegar and it was brutal. Anything you can do something with that bottle has to be an improvement.

It is all real balsamic. Aging creates better, thicker versions. You can buy what I call the "table" version, which is what I use for sprouts, or a 120 year old version where a drop is all that is needed, a special occasion condiment, not to be cooked with.

I'm glad so many people enjoy Brussel Sprouts and I'm happy for you.

Balsamic vinegar, even the kind we can afford, is a great enhancement for many foods and I wouldn't be without it. Try a little of it drizzled on a bowl of sliced strawberries for a tasty treat Addie.

Kicking the programing back to Cornbread....

Last edited:
It is all real balsamic. Aging creates better, thicker versions. You can buy what I call the "table" version, which is what I use for sprouts, or a 120 year old version where a drop is all that is needed, a special occasion condiment, not to be cooked with.
No, the cheap balsamic in the grocery store is not made using the traditional ingredients and methods. You can read about the differences here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar

I don't know that real balsamic is "beyond the average paycheck," but it's not cheap. You don't have to use very much in order to get good flavor, though. I buy it a few times a year from a store that specializes in vinegars and olive oils. Boiling supermarket balsamic will not result in anything near the authentic flavor.

Last edited:
No, the cheap balsamic in the grocery store is not made using the traditional ingredients and methods. You can read about the differences here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsamic_vinegar

I don't know that real balsamic is "beyond the average paycheck," but it's not cheap. You don't have to use very much in order to get good flavor, though. I buy it a few times a year from a store that specializes in vinegars and olive oils. Boiling supermarket balsamic will not result in anything near the authentic flavor.

That is if you buy it at the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom