Cornbread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Anna Olson making "Confetti Cornbread" on Food Network this morning and I'd like to have a go..

Question: Is corn meal the same as polenta? If not can I substitute? (My health food shop lady where I get these sorts of things says I can but I don't know her cooking credentials.)

Yes. One typically uses a cornmeal grind (more coarse than masa) for both polenta and cornmeal.

I've actually used both grinds for both. But, most cornbread recipes I've seen mean the finer grind. You can use either for corn tortillas but I prefer the finer as I don't like the coarse texture. For polenta, it can also be either one but, again, I prefer the finer due to the texture. However, if the recipe calls specifically for coarse and you use the fine grind, you have to adjust the amount you use (downward if you are substituting the fine grind for coarse) or up the liquid ratio significantly.

Has anyone ever made "cracklin" cornbread?

Do you just add cracklings to the batter before baking?

My wife loves cornbread and I just barely like it. If it had cracklings in it, I bet it would be much better.

Never made it but I do make cornbread with fresh corn kernels and/or chopped jalapeno. However, just took a quick look at a couple of recipes and you apparently just stir the pieces in and bake.

Does your wife put sugar in her cornbread? Craig has always told me he preferred it without sugar in it but the last time I made it I didn't put hardly any sugar in it and he didn't like it at all. So, guess I have to find a compromise. I've been using this recipe for years.

Epcot Corn Muffins / Cornbread - Garden Grill, Future World

"Cornbread and iced tea took the place of pills and 90 proof." Name that song!:ROFLMAO:

Never made it but I do make cornbread with fresh corn kernels and/or chopped jalapeno. However, just took a quick look at a couple of recipes and you apparently just stir the pieces in and bake.

Does your wife put sugar in her cornbread? Craig has always told me he preferred it without sugar in it but the last time I made it I didn't put hardly any sugar in it and he didn't like it at all. So, guess I have to find a compromise. I've been using this recipe for years.

Epcot Corn Muffins / Cornbread - Garden Grill, Future World

No sugar in her cornbread.

Has anyone ever made "cracklin" cornbread?

Do you just add cracklings to the batter before baking?

My wife loves cornbread and I just barely like it. If it had cracklings in it, I bet it would be much better.
I tried it once because it sound really tasty. I could hardly tell they were in the corn bread. They disappeared. I thought it was a waste of yummy cracklings. And yes, I followed a recipe that had me put the cracklings in the batter before baking.

A southerner who doesn't much go for cornbread? Don't they have laws about that? :huh: R_B, I wonder if you used bacon drippings instead of butter or fat it you might like it better. I have put bacon crumbles in cornbread, but I decided I like bacon better on the side.,

Kayelle, I was thinking, 1 cup of sugar seems pretty sweet. Then I remembered, I like honey on my cornbread, so I guess it looks pretty good. I'll know soon enough. I copied your recipe and will try it.

I just threw a pan of cornbread in the oven. Today I used the recipe on the side of the Quaker brand cornmeal box. Hand stirred and the batter was ready before the oven came up to temp.

Last edited:
I tried it once because it sound really tasty. I could hardly tell they were in the corn bread. They disappeared. I thought it was a waste of yummy cracklings. And yes, I followed a recipe that had me put the cracklings in the batter before baking.

What kind of cracklings did you use? If you used those puffed up pork rinds sold in the big bags, those are not cracklings. Cracklings have the skin remaining. Pork rinds are skinless and very light. Airy.
The ones we get are kinda hard to chew and would not dissolve in the batter. I think?
My biggest concern was the cracklings getting soft in the batter.

Last edited:
What kind of cracklings did you use? If you used those puffed up pork rinds sold in the big bags, those are not cracklings. Cracklings have the skin remaining. Pork rinds are skinless and very light. Airy.
The ones we get are kinda hard to chew and would not dissolve in the batter. I think?
My biggest concern was the cracklings getting soft in the batter.
I made them myself. They were a yummy by product of rendering leaf lard. I don't remember if any of them had skin, but I think so. I cut the fat into ~1 cm (~3/8 inches) cubes. I probably only put skinless ones in the cornbread.

Heh, TL doesn't eat stuff like that :)
GG knows me. :LOL:

Last edited:
I agree, that's a lot of unnecessary sugar and naturally it can be cut way down to suit yourself. I often use pepper jack cheese, to boost the kick.
Addie, bacon makes anything better, except brussel sprouts.:LOL:

Last edited:
I use the Jiffy Mix, add 1 T sugar, green chilies and shredded Mexican Cheese. Perfect Corn Bread!

Back
Top Bottom