Cornbread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy cow Addie....you lookin for another war between the states?

Not really. But in the three years I lived in Texas, the cornbread I tasted was an abomination. Not fit for man or beast. Maybe I just knew lousy cooks down there. :angel:

Addie is correct. The corn bread here in SC that i have had was horrible. It was very dry, and has zero taste.

Shrek puts buttermilk over his cornbread with salt & pepper, then eats that for breakfast.

I am assuming this is one reason they love their corn bread down here. They never eat corn bread like bread. Its always used in combination with something else.
Like the gross idea of opening a pint of buttermilk, drinking half of it, then adding crumbled corn bread to make a paste. Yuk on so many levels.
Or its used in stuffing (which I find to be good) or served with soup or beans.
There is no juice in any southern soup once it reaches the table. It is immediately covered with crumbled corn bread and mixed up to make another paste that they just absolutely adore.
I like corn bread with these things. Just not in these things.

I want to make the Mexican corn bread that was provided. But I know for a fact my wife does not like sweet corn bread.
I have everything but the buttermilk. I wonder if regular whole milk will be okay?
We are having the Souths signature dish today. Pinto beans made with ham bone and ham pieces at at the end.
This dish needs corn bread.
And i plan to make something palatable.

Last edited:
RB, you can make buttermilk by adding a bit of vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk.

RB, you can make buttermilk by adding a bit of vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk.

Yes, I mentioned this to my wife this morning. Any idea as to how much to add, to how much milk? Must it ferment or is it ready immediately for use?
Thanks.

About a tsp for a cup, I think. You can use it within a few minutes.

This works.

You can also buy buttermilk powder in the baking section of the supermarket. It's great because it lasts for a long time so you're not wasting buttermilk or looking for recipes to use it up. Just measure the powder into the dry ingredients and add the appropriate amount of water to the wet ingredients and you're all set.

I've used the powder too, very convenient. I did find out it should be stored in the fridge after opening. I discovered this after I'd had the powder for a couple years.

I had the same problem with the powdered stuff Dawg. It was also quite expensive, unless you bake a lot.

To make your own buttermilk you'll need a Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to one cup of milk however. ;)

Last edited:
Which would you add to a cornbread recipe to make it less crumbly ?

More egg, more buttermilk, more oil???

Or, make sure to not over bake it.

Usually mine is good. I always bake in a cast iron pan unless it's muffins.

This works.

You can also buy buttermilk powder in the baking section of the supermarket. It's great because it lasts for a long time so you're not wasting buttermilk or looking for recipes to use it up. Just measure the powder into the dry ingredients and add the appropriate amount of water to the wet ingredients and you're all set.

I had a can of powdered buttermilk in my cart at the grocery store some months ago when we were discussing homemade ranch dressing. I put it back for some reason.:wacko:

About a tsp for a cup, I think. You can use it within a few minutes.

Thanks.

Which would you add to a cornbread recipe to make it less crumbly ?
More egg, more buttermilk, more oil???
Or, make sure to not over bake it.
Usually mine is good. I always bake in a cast iron pan unless it's muffins.

Scroll back in this thread to the Mexican cornbread recipe. It is supposed to cure the problem of dry cornbread.
I was to make it yesterday, but we ate out instead.

I had the same problem with the powdered stuff Dawg. It was also quite expensive, unless you bake a lot.

To make your own buttermilk you'll need a Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to one cup of milk however. ;)
I would think you could use natural (unflavoured, unsweetened) yoghourt in place of buttermilk, couldn't you? I seem to remember when I made the Anna Olson recipe that started this thread that I couldn't find buttermilk so I used yoghourt which I always have in as I make my own.

I use it for making scones too

I would think you could use natural (unflavoured, unsweetened) yoghourt in place of buttermilk, couldn't you?

Buttermilk and unflavored yogurt are two things i can assure you, do not reside in my fridge. At least not on a regular basis.
I bought the buttermilk for the cornbread and had to throw it out the other day as it was expired. Waste.

Last night we opened a package of Martha White corn muffin mix.
I chopped some red bell pepper, opened a small can of green chili's (drained) and grated some cheddar cheese.
Best corn bread I have ever had. But it was sweet.
I am considering making the Mexican cornbread and completely leaving out the sugar.
Has anyone made this without the sugar?

I wonder if that's my dilemma-- I asked the other day why sometimes my cornbread seems dry-- sometimes I leave out sugar altogether, Plus ( yes I know,) sometimes I use a different recipe, so I am inconsistent, but how else is one going to find the perfect recipe.

I'm going to try the Mexican cornbread recipe next time I bake a pan.

I've cut corners in a pinch and added shredded cheddar and chopped jalapenos to a box of Jiffy cornbread mix. :ermm::ohmy: Not bad! :yum:

The only cornbread I make is Jiffy. I like it, and frankly, my Southern exSIL's cornbread wasn't quite as good, though I would never tell her.

Last edited:
I bought a Lodge Recipe book that has a lot of prize winning corn breads. I tried a plain one today. I used it as my bread for the burgers I made. It was pretty plain jane. cornmeal,bacon grease, baking powder, salt, butter milk :ROFLMAO:

Hmm. Great ideas, PF and Legend. May have to hit the Jiffy mix with some bacon grease and sugar!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom