"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 11-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Cornbread stuffing balls?

So this Thanksgiving is mostly about convenience for me (ordering a fried turkey, etc.), but would like to do at least a few little different things. I've seen stuffing balls on a cooking show somewhere, and they look like they'd be neat to do.

Basically you just make the stuffing (I'm just going with the Pepperidge Farm cornbread mix this year - first year in don't know how long I haven't made my own!), form it into baseball size rounds, place on a baking sheet and bake. I'm thinking if I oil the tops of big muffin tins, and set the balls on the top, that the shape my stay 'rounder'. Any thoughts?

Old 11-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
Head Chef

I think I saw Rachel Ray do this and she used muffin tins. Seems like a great idea.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

It sounds like a good portion control method more than anything else. I might like it better not in a "ball" form but just cooked in the muffin tin with a flat top--maybe put "something" on top as a decoration.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Please be aware that Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix has changed. Last year my sis inlaw made her usual turkey and stuffing, well the stufffing came out super yuk. The breading was like BB's, the next time I went to the store I looked at the Pepperidge bag, the bread cubes were about 1/4 " in size, the last time I had looked, which is many years ago the cubes were around 1/2" to 3/4" is size. You might want to make a home made dresssing, then roll them in balls, at least you will know what in them.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Tx for the heads up, Elf; maybe I'll do a small 'trial run' on these! I'm using the cornbread dressing; wonder if that's changed, too?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

It is so easy to make cornbread for dressing I have never used Pepperidge Farms--or any other--for T'giving. I also need so much it is much more economical to make it myself. I have used it (PF) in a stewed tomato dish, but haven't noticed a big difference in it over the years myself.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf
Please be aware that Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix has changed. Last year my sis inlaw made her usual turkey and stuffing, well the stufffing came out super yuk. The breading was like BB's, the next time I went to the store I looked at the Pepperidge bag, the bread cubes were about 1/4 " in size, the last time I had looked, which is many years ago the cubes were around 1/2" to 3/4" is size. You might want to make a home made dresssing, then roll them in balls, at least you will know what in them.
Thanks for letting us know. This is one I always feel I could depend on. Just like everything 'nothing stays the same'. What other one are you going to try now? At the store, noticed most of the main stays are being bought already.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Just for the record - I have NEVER used a dressing mix - but, as I said in my first post, I'm trying to cut corners this year wherever I can.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I think there are other stuffing mixes available--particularly store brands--Publix, Kroger. Maybe theirs will be larger chunks.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #10
Master Chef

I had to read this a couple of times to let it sink in and get processed ...

marmalady- you're talking about the muffin tins being "right side up" like if you were making muffins - but making the "stuffing balls" large enough that they just sit on the cup rims?

Yes - that should make them more symmetrically "round" ... but why would you really want that? You will be serving them on a flat plate more than likely ... and IMHO - a ball with a flat bottom will sit better on the plate, and actually make a better presentation, than a perfectly round one rolling around on the plate.

But - that's just my opinion.

Again, my opinion - nothing wrong with Pepperidge Farm cornbread mix - you're going to be forming it into balls ... if it truly is smaller sized than in the past (I actually haven't noticed that although it may be true) since you are forming it into balls I would think the smaller "cubes" would be an advantage.

IMHO - I would go ahead and use the Pepperidge Farm cornbread mix, form it into balls, and bake on a baking sheet.

Tags
None