"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 05-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Crab and Pimento cheese sandwich

Just had this at a restaurant on Kiawah Island, one of the resorts a little south of Charleston - it was delightful!

Toasted English muffin
Fresh crab meat - this seemed like it was 'special' certainly wasn't lump or jumbo lump, and wasn't claw or backfin.
Pimento cheese - this was homemade, with a really sharp cheddar and lots of great pimento flavor

The crabmeat was piled on each side of the muffin, then the pimento cheese piled on top of that. Run under the broiler (salamander) til the cheese was melted and puffy.

Simple - elegant - and oh, so tasty! I'd do this in a minute for a luncheon or a light dinner with a salad!

Old 05-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

I don't understand the "special"--if it wasn't any of what you listed, what was it. I don't think we have any other "grades".
Pimiento cheese is a big deal here. I also make my own with roasted red peppers and Black Diamond cheddar. Good stuff.
Harper's here--good resto--serves a great burger with pimiento cheese.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Gretchen - here's a link to the description of the different grades of crabmeat:

http://www.phillipsfoods.com/index.c...d=1&page_id=23
Old 05-30-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Recipe looks very similar to what I found and am going to be making for reception. Also you can freeze them!!!

To make ahead, freeze on cookie sheet until frozen, then store in plastic bag. Broiling time: 3 to 5 minutes. Yield: 96 canapes. Preparation: 20 minutes. Easy!!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Icy, sorry, but I'd never freeze fresh crabmeat already prepared on the English muffins. One of the beauties of this dish was that the muffin was crispy-crunchy under the crab! The pimento cheese also has mayo in it, and I'm not sure about freezing that.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Sounds great Marm, I just adore things on English muffins and the idea of toping them with crab seems so perfect for summer time eats

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Hmmmm maybe I should rethink making the recipe, especially since I would be taking them out of the freezer about 8:30 am and party isn't until about 6:00 pm.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Icy, what is it you're trying to make?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Actually it sounds a lot like the recipe you tried and it sounded easy, so I was going to make it. :) I like easy, especially when it is for a minimum of 250 guests. I have been rethinking it not only because of what you wrote, but also because it would be sitting in the refrigerator (hopefully) until the helpers start heating it up for the reception and I am afraid it will end up being soggy.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #10
Executive Chef

If you use the premade crostini toasts that are already crispy, you can assemble at the last minute and they won't get soggy.

Tags
None