"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-13-2005, 10:59 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cuban Bread instructions

My Cuban Bread recipe instructs: "Cold oven". "Pan of boiling water". Set for 400 degrees and put the dough in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.

Now I have never heard of a cold oven start. But the boiling water I can see. 400 degrees for 40 minutes....whew...burnt bread...(perhaps), but not this time.

I would like to suceed to making perfect Cuban Bread. Thin crusty outside and delicisous inside. Used for many things. Toast, sandwiches, dunkin' dippin' and just great bread, however you must eat it up in one or two days. Otherwise it gets hard quickly.

What say yee all?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65790437509.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	750  

Old 12-14-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

oh man that looks good pete. i'm a bit of a bread connoiss, umm, fanatic.
what do you like about cuban loaves, besides the crust? are they light and airy inside, or dense and chewy?
oh, btw, when are we all invited to your boat?
i love the keys, except u.s.-1 ain't all it's cracked up to be. take a puddle jumper and save the gas, imo.
also, if you get the chance, get down to key west and dine at flagler's restaraunt at the casa marina. great food, especially gulf shrimp and oysters.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Everymom

Oh my oh my, that looks wonderful Pete. Did you post the recipe anywhere? I'm in the mood to do some bread or buns or something today and that looks like it would fit the bill.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Here's the recipe I use, and yes it is a cold start oven - I"ve seen French bread recipes that do the same. It's an easy, delicious simple bread recipe, and has never failed me!

CUBAN BREAD
4 -4 cups white flour
2pkg.instant yeast
1T sugar
1 cups hot water
1T soft butter
1 tsp. salt

Stir together 1 1/3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. With mixer on low, add water and butter, and mix til blended. Raise speed to high and beat 3 minutes. Stir in 2 1/3 cups more flour, enough to yield a kneadable dough. Working in the bowl, quickly knead in enough more flour to yield a firm, very elastic dough. Cover bowl with plastic and set in a warm spot for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal. Punch down dough and divide in half. Shape into two ovals and place on baking sheet. Make 3-4 random diagonal slashes in tops with a sharp knife. Let rise uncovered in a warm place for 10 minutes.
Spray the loaves with water. Place in a COLD oven; immediately set oven to 425. Place a pan of hot water on the oven floor. Several times during baking, spray with hot water. Bake for 29-34 minutes, til loaf tops are hard and lightly browned, and bottoms sound hollow when tapped. Cool on racks.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
Everymom

FAST! Thanks marmalady. Question re: yeast. Two packages = two tablespoons? Instant is the same as quick rise right? I think I read that somewhere in here.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Whatever you did, Pete, it looks great to me. Still need help finishing it off before it gets too hard?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Alix, I think so to the tablespoon question, but better check a package when you're in the grocery store; instant does = fast rise.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
I have the cheese and ham for the grilled sandwiches. Thank you for the recipe. Your bread looks beautiful marmalady!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 05:51 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Photo credit goes to Pete - I only contributed the recipe!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #10
Senior Cook

1 package of yeast = 2 1/4 teaspoons of yeast.

Tags
None