"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 04-02-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
dense as a brick European bread recipe?

I see it on the international shelf every once in a while - that dense, nutty, chewy bread that supposedly can be stored for months. I was told that's because it's baked for hours and hours. Most people I know hate the stuff. I love it. Any recipes?

ramydam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #2
Head Chef
:oops: I've only made it by accident...never on purpose nor do I have a clue as to what went wrong!

I think what you're looking for is also called "Journeybread" or "Johnnycakes" and has sunflower seeds in it or other nutmeats and is made with whole wheat flour or a combination of whole wheat and potato flour.

By any chance does the bread you seek have a somewhat sweet flavor?

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
It's not Journeybread, though the texture might be similar. I've heard it called simply "Schwarzbrot," but it is not what I think of as black bread. The store here sells it as "Fitness Bread" in the international aisle. It's a bit on the sour side and nutty, but I don't find it sweet. oh well, the conundrum remains. . . se la vie.
ramydam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:23 PM   #4
Senior Cook
While I don't know the answer myself I am willing to bet our resident bread baker, Old coot, will be able to help.
"The odds of my being correct on any given issue are inversely proportionate to the proximity of my wife" BubbaGourmet
BubbaGourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
Hi ramy,

Is that bread very dark? With whole kernels in it? Is it similar to this one?

Iris is offline   Reply With Quote