"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-23-2008, 04:24 AM   #11
Executive Chef

We use a Kenwood Chef for doing our bread dough. We found that we wore food processors out very quickly when we use then for dough. Mind you I make 6+ batches of bread a week. Our Kenwood Chef also has a food processor as an attachment which we can use for other things.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Cook

im in the uk.... not sure if ive seen much kitchen aid or cuisanart here.

i have actually ordered one now, its kenwood, but a model up from the one i was looking at at first. its had really great customer reviews so hopefully it will live up to them!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #13
Cook

the model i have comming is the Kenwood FP920 Multipro Food Processor 3.0lt 1000w. hoping not to ware it out with my doughmaking (i make 4-5 batches a week myself) as its worth 150 which is a lot if you are on a tight budget!!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've never used my food processor to knead my bread dough. That's because the processor bowl is too small for the quantities of dough I make. My machine is 30+ years old now and I'm investigating getting a new one with a larger capacity bowl. I'm seriously considering a 14-cup model even though it's just the two of us here.

Until arthritis and carpal tunnel took over my hands, I did the kneading by hand. Now I let my bread machine do it. For me, it's an efficiency technique. The machine does the kneading and the first rise for me while I'm free to do other things.

As an example, last week I put my bread ingredients in the maker as soon as I got up and by 10 a.m., I had 2 nice loaves of bread already out of the oven.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
Cook

My daughter and I make bread by hand. Her one counter, I on the other. Whatever machine you use, just make sure the motor can hanpdle the type of dough you are using. Since we grind our own wheat, our dough is much more firm, so if and when I do purchase a mixer, I will have to make sure it can handle the type of dough I am working with.

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
Head Chef

I have a very old bread machine with virtually no frills, and use it constantly to make dough. Without it, I would not make bread. Bread machines are so inexpensive now that if mine was wearing out, I would purchase a new one. I start dough at night and have fresh bread in the time it takes to make coffee and breakfast. They do, however, take up counter space, and are cumbersome to take in and out of storage daily.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #17
Cook

I still knead dough with my ten fingers , but that's okay, it can help me to build muscle
Old 03-01-2008, 02:42 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Kenwood FP920

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisontomsmum View Post
the model i have comming is the Kenwood FP920 Multipro Food Processor 3.0lt 1000w. hoping not to ware it out with my doughmaking (i make 4-5 batches a week myself) as its worth 150 which is a lot if you are on a tight budget!!
I also have a Kenwood FP920, and I was wondering if I'd burn it out. I'm trying to make the occasional bread or pizza dough at home, as most recipes call for 10-15 minutes of kneading in a stand-blender with a dough hook. The Kenwood has this plastic paddle for kneading, but I'm wondering if I should adjust time downwards?

(or just go to Aldi and buy a 40 breadmaker - like i have room for such a monster...)
Old 03-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

yep

Cuisinart 14 cup here also 4 or 5 years old still works( like your old one)

I put the dry ingredients pulse a few times to mix

The add hot water from the tap and process

until it becomes a ball

It's ready in about 40 seconds to go into a bowl for the first rise.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupperware View Post
Cuisinart 14 cup here also 4 or 5 years old still works( like your old one)

I put the dry ingredients pulse a few times to mix

The add hot water from the tap and process

until it becomes a ball

It's ready in about 40 seconds to go into a bowl for the first rise.
That's what I mean - many pizza dough recipes say knead for 10-12 minutes in a mixer with a dough hook, while food processor books say 40-60 seconds, sometimes with a metal blade, sometimes with a plastic paddle, but always under a minute - heck of a differential!

Tags
None