Easy Sourdough French Bread - Authentic And Good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
French Bread is just flour, salt, yeast, and water.

Sourdough is fermented dough. You can use a sourdough starter that you have nurtured carefully for weeks, or you can just do it this way:

PPut a cup of Bread flour in a large bowl.
Add a teasspoonful of salt
Add a package of Active Dry Yeast
Add a cup of water

Mix thoroughlly, covern and set aside for three (3) days.

Then add another cup of Bread flour - and maybe a llittle more.

Mix until a ball of dough forms and pulls away from the bowl. The dough should be soft but not sticky (add more flour if necessary)

Remove from bowl and form a ball. Clean and oil the bowl, and put the dough back in it, Rotate the dough ball to coat it with oil. Cover and put in a warm place to rise until a deep finger-hole stays open.

REmove to a floured surface, form into a long sylinder, pat into a long, narrow rectangle. Roll into a cylinder from the long side,. Gently place it on a corn meal sprinkled baking sheet. Cover and let rise again until a finger dent doesn't spring back.

Bake in a 400 F oven for 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

SOOURDOOUGHFRENCH3.JPG

I just did it, and the result is delicious!

Oldcoot,
sounds and looks great! Just a question.. If I were to use fresh yeast how much would that be?? ( In grams :LOL: )

Sorry, coquille, I have never used fresh yeast (can't find it at our supermarket!) so haven't a clue. As a guess, I'd try about a teasdpoonful..

If making sourdough french, if the starter bubbles fairly heavily within the first few hours, you're going to be o.k. If the bubbling seems a little mild, add another teaspoonful. Oughta work.

Hi coquille,

I make my own soughdough (is it written right?)
I it is very easy. And use fresh yeast is much easier. For Pizzadough (ca. 500 g flour, and 250ml water....) you need 10-20 g.

What a pitty, that the most of you can´t understand my language. We´ve so much good sites about this thema.

But if you like more informations about that, you can connect someone at our Germansites. She´s american., who lives here in germany.

Post me a pn and perhaps I can help you.

lg Tanja

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom