"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 01-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #21
Master Chef

I think it's like the large Shredded Wheat. My best friend in high school was an exchange student from England and she loved the stuff--missed it so much she had her mum send boxes to her!

Old 01-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
It's not quite like Shredded Wheat, it's made of flakes compressed together rather than strandy bits, and it goes mushy very easily. In Australia the brand is "Weet bix" and in England "Wheat-a-bix" I don't like them much at all. Except dry with butter and vegemite!

I'm a muesli girl. I buy a very cheap and nutritious one, and an expensive toasted one, and mix them together, so I get a nice breakfast but relatively low in sugar and fat.

I too am a porridge fan. But I need to avoid that at the moment because I like it with single cream and golden syrup!!!!

Cornflakes with cold milk and strawberries is my favourite summer cereal. Cold applesauce topped with cornflakes with a bit of milk is like a morning apple crumble and I love that too!

Old 01-13-2005, 12:38 AM   #23
Sous Chef

I always used to have 2 Weetbix filled with enough milk to come right up to the tops of them then cover the tops completely in honey. Yes!

Now if I have them (I prefer cereals as deficient in KJs/Cals as possible while retaining a high fibre content, such as All-Bran or just generic processed bran) I have them like all my cereals, a sliced banana over the top with milk of course.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #24
Master Chef

i love Kellog's Complete wheat bran flakes. at first i thought i would hate 'em but nope, they're delicious. i soak them in whole milk till they're mush, squish out all the milk, then stir them till they're like a cold 'hot' cereal. even when they're soaked for half an hour, they
retain a little crunch. mmmmm....
Special K is good, too.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcplmeck
Has anyone heard of Wheatabix? It's all over here.
this one store carries all kinds of foods and it has wheatabix. i think i had a box of that when i was little.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:00 PM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcplmeck
Has anyone heard of Wheatabix? It's all over here.
The world's finest breakfast cereal, originating in the United Kingdom, Weetabix is available in many places in the United States but is a little hard to find in your typical supermarket. I bought some at Trader Joes about 3 years ago, but have no idea if they still carry it.

It is similar to Nabisco Shredded Wheat, but with the wheat flaked rather than "shredded," yielding a greater propensity to get soggy very quickly in milk. This is neither a bug nor a design flaw; it's a feature! The flaked wheat is pressed into oblong blocks 4cm x 7.5cm x 1.5cm, that give it the distinct appearance of particle board.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:09 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
that give it the distinct appearance of particle board
And feel like it in the mouth too unless you let it soak in milk for long enough.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
Our favorites here are: Cheerios with milk and honey, shredded wheat plain or frosted bite size (the kids call them haystacks and snow haystacks), Basic 4 and granola - those are our cold cereal favs. For hot cereals we like: Cream of Wheat and Oatmeal. :D
Old 01-27-2005, 12:30 AM   #29
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
[And feel like it in the mouth too unless you let it soak in milk for long enough.
Being born and raised in Niagara Falls, one thing I know how to do is eat shredded wheat, be it Nabisco Shredded Wheat, Quaker Muffets, or Wheetabix. There are two methods used to soften the shredded wheat.

My mother's method: Put an ample amount of milk in a pot and heat it to scalding. Break the shredded wheat biscuits up into tiny pieces, and pour the scalded milk over it.

My fathere's method: Turn on the hot water tap and let the water run until highest temperature is reached. Place the shredded wheat biscuits in a bowl and allow the hot water to run over the biscuits. Hold a plate over the biscuits and turn the bowl upside down to drain. Add cold milk and eat.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:02 PM   #30
Master Chef

My Dad used to use the same method to soften his shredded wheat. I prefer mine crispy, in ice-cold milk, with blueberries.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None