"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-03-2004, 02:00 AM   #31
Master Chef

Lifter; Thank you for your prayers for my son. He is an outstading, if stubborn young man. HIs moral standards are above reproach. I never have had to worry about him getting into any kind of trouble, except for the way he drove my dirt-bike as a teen. To much "try hard" and not enough "know how" at that time in his life. But he survived it.

In any case, your prayers are a wonderful thing.

And as for the dressing advice, well, you've brought me back to the basics. The technique you describe is what I used to always do when cooking something up. I still usually do. But sometimes, I fear my own cooking knowledge gets in my way. I'll take shortcuts and thing I can guestimate the seasonings, or the timing, or how different flavors will interact with each other. For the most part, I'm successful with that. But sometimes, you just have to stop and smell the dressing (like that pun on the old cliche ). I have figured out how to make a great many things that way. The three dishes I have to absolutely follow that advice with are pineapple sweet and sour sauce, tomato-based pasta sauces, and chili. I do it to a lesser extent with most other things.

Thanks for reminding me that I too am only human, and have to follow basic rules. And I don't know any chef who doesn't test the quality of a sauce, or stew for last minute seasoning corrections before serving it. It's just part of the cooking process. Again thanks.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None