Favorite Stuffing Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spaZDaisE04

Assistant Cook
Im in charge of making the stuffing this thanksgiving because I wanted to make something this thanksgiving and thats what im in charge of. If anyone has any really yummy plate -emptying- stuffing? lol I made the one that rachel ray made on her 60 minute episode but it didnt taste as good as I thought It would. . .thanks in aadvance

my mom's is the best. she uses stale white bread celery onion bacon sage poultry seasoning salt pepper and a little accent. that's about it. she doesn't measure so i can't give you an exact amount.

My stuffing will have...sausage, apples,chestnuts and a handful of dried cherries....of course the base is good bagette stale bread...lots of onion and celery...and liquid to moisten is tawny port and chicken stock.
I don't stuff the bird.

i use a bag of pepperidge farm cornbread stuffing, about an equal amount of a cubed stale loaf of a good whole wheat multigrain bread; turkey stock; 2 large sweet italian turkey sausages (removed from casing and browned/crumbled); diced celery, onions, and granny smith apples; and a little chopped walnuts.

This is one my family has been using for years. It is actually my grandmother's recipe. We have never really been adventurous in trying any other recipes because it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without my grandma's stuffing.

3 boxes Stove Top Cornbread Dressing
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
3 T. butter melted
3/4 cup butter, cubed
1 pound ground sausage (I prefer Jimmy Dean regular)
1 can chicken broth (may need to use a little more)

I have made the dressing the night before and put in refrigerator overnight. You will need to add additional broth if you do this.

Saute celery, green pepper, and onions in 3 T. butter. Cook until tender. Brown 1 lb. sausage and drain on paper towel. Place 3/4 cup cubed butter, saute vegetables, and seasoning packages from cornbread dressing in 9x13 inch baking dish.

Add 4 1/2 cups HOT water. Stir just to blend and partially melt the butter. Add crumb packages and sausage. Stir to moisten.

Pour chicken broth over top to moisten. (May use broth from turkey of you have enough.)

Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes. May take longer. Look for dressing to appear set and browned on top.

My grandmothers recipie is very very good. I will get it and post it on here tomorrow. I was going to get it anyway because I was going to make it on thanksgiving so I will post it when I get it.

stuffing

mmm apple sage dressing? ill try that one and see how it is befor i make it for thaksgiving. lol i always make things first before the day I need them. .

melissa

Apple Sage Dressing

2 pounds tart sweet apples, pared, cored, and cut in 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup dry white wine
juice of 1 lemon
8 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
2 medium onions, diced
4 large celery stalks, diced
kosher salt
ground black pepper
1 pound sweet italian turkey sausage, casing removed
3 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh summer savory leaves, minced
10 cups cubed bread
1 1/2 cups toasted walnuts or hazlenuts

toss first three ingredients together and set aside. melt 6 tablespoons butter in saucepan over med-low heat. add onions and celery: saute about 15 minutes. season with salt and pepper to taste.

add sausage: crumble with fork and cooked until lightly browned. put into a bowl.

melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan. turn heat up to medium and saute apples stirring frequently until they begin to soften. add to sausage mixture. add the herbs. season with salt and pepper as desired.
add bread and nuts. toss gently to mix.

Alright you stuffing champions. My greatest weakness in cooking is my turkey dressing. I've tried for years to make that wonderful stuff that my mother, my grandparents, and my dad made so well, seemingly without effort. You're making me jealous.

So pack some in dry ice and mail it to me ;)

I wan't to create my own incredible stuffing from scratch!

I can make award-winning pies, incredible cakes and pastries, meats, fowl, breads, you name it, I can make it. But do you think I can get stuffing down? Woe is me. Woe is me. (heavy sigh)

But then again, whether it is calculous, or a problem on our phone system that has the experts stymied, or making that perfect roast for my freinds and relatives, I've yet to find a problem that can beat me. It's only a matter of time. I will beat this problem. Do you hear me! I WILL MAKE PERFECT STUFFING YET, AND WITHOUT HELP.

No I'm not really crazy. Really I'm not. Hey! What's that ambulance doing out there? Who are those guys in the white coats? Wait. What's that song I hear? Help! There putting me in a straight jacket. Help! Hellllllllp! (And, they're comming to take me away, ha ha. They're comming to take me away ho, ho, hee, hee, ha, ha, to the funny farm, where everythings beautifull all the time, and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in there clean white coats, and there comming to take me away ha, ha... ;)

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

LOL Goodweed - hope to see you soon!!!!!!! All these dressings sound wonderful and the stories to go with some are truly priceless!!!!!

I just use stale bread, sauté onions and celery, lots of fresh thyme, sage, eggs, milk, lots of stock from cooking the neck, etc., I normally add mushrooms but this year I'm not - everyone wants it more basic - (that would make it 25 to 1 to I guess I'll leave them out 'cause there's some big boys that come over on Thanksgiving) - I've never tried a cornbread stuffing. I split the dressing reserving a small amount for oyster dressing - sometimes I used the smoked oysters and sometimes fresh - if they are fresh I sauté them first in some butter then add them.

The turkey sausage sounds like a great addition though - I will cook that with my celery and onions - thanks buckytom!!

I've made chestnut dressing but for some reason I don't like it - it has that "nutty" flavor - sorry, had to say that for oldcoot!!! :oops:

This one is my husband’s favorite and is one of two dressings I will be making. And it’s a lot lower in fat than the cornbread dressing I make. I think I originally obtained this one from Epicurious, but that was a couple of years ago. I’ve made a few changes to fit the husband’s palette… And it is sooo good!

Italian-Style Sourdough Bread Dressing with Parmesan, Sage and Walnuts

1 country-style white sourdough bread loaves, torn into inch pieces (about 8 cups)
Light Olive Oil
1 cup of fresh grated Parmesan cheese

3 tablespoons butter
1 large red onions, chopped
1-1/2 cups celery, chopped
1 large red bell peppers, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (not stems)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
½ cup of thinly sliced fresh basil
3 large eggs, beaten
Chicken stock

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F) and spray two large-rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray.

Place bread pieces in a very large bowl. Add about 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, several turns of fresh ground black pepper and ½ cup of the parmesan, and toss well to coat as evenly as possible. Spread the coated bread in a single layer on each of the prepared baking sheets, but toast one sheet at a time until the bread is golden, stirring occasionally. This takes about ten minutes per baking sheet. Set aside to cool and return to the large bowl.

Melt the butter with another 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and bell peppers and saute’ until the vegetables begin to brown on the edges and are almost tender…about 10-15 minutes. Add the chopped garlic, rosemary, sage and oregano and stir gently for a minute. Add the walnuts and continue to saute’ for another 2 minutes or so. Remove from heat and add to toasted bread in the bowl. Add the basil and the remaining ½ cup of parmesan, along with salt and more ground pepper to taste and toss well to combine. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Add chicken stock (about 1 cup) until the dressing is thoroughly moistened, but not soupy. (You want the bread to soak up the stock and not have a pool of the stock at the bottom of the bowl.)

Generously oil an 12x9x2-inch baking dish and pour the stuffing into the dish, spreading the mixture evenly. Cover with a length of heavy-duty aluminum foil that has also been covered with olive oil and seal the edges well. Bake in a preheated 350-degree (F) oven for about 35-40 minutes, then remove the foil and bake uncovered until the top is slightly crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.

I have lots of stuffing/dressing recipes, from a binge of looking for different stuffing recipes years ago. I haven't really figured out a way to cut/paste a list of the titles out of the folder I store them in. Ask me what you want, and I'll try to help.

Oddly enough, I've only made one or two of them, and have since developed my own cornbread dressing recipe. I perfected this recipe last winter, by roasting several chickens, and varying the recipe each time. This is a good way to test a dressing out, and not risking familial offense during a holiday, and not having to cook big, elaborate Turkey dinners just to try a dressing recipe.

Cornbread Stuffing
Yields: 6 servings

¾ batch of East Coast Grill cornbread recipe
-or- about 4 c cornbread
2 T vegetable oil
½ c diced onions
½ c diced celery
1 t minced garlic
1 t salt
1 t ground black pepper
1 t thyme
1 t sage
1 c chicken stock
2 eggs, beaten

NOTE: Use an 10” cast iron skillet for this one, and you can actually bake the dressing in the same pan as you sauté the vegetables in.
Heat a pan over high heat. Add the oil. Reduce heat to medium, and add the onions, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and sage. Sauté until onions are soft, transparent, and lightly caramelized. While this is cooking, crumble the cornbread.. When the onions are lightly browned, remove from the heat, and add the crumbled cornbread and stir. Add the chicken stock and mix thoroughly. The mixture should be fairly wet. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Press the mixture firmly into a baking dish (or use the cast iron skillet). Bake at 350°F for one hour.

My mom has been making this one for as long as I can remember! It is rather simple but very good. I'll be making it this year for the first time.

Sage Dressing

6C crumbled cornbread
6C. crumbled biscuits
1/2 to 1C. chopped onion
6tsp. sage
1/2tsp. pepper
1/2 stick margarine, melted
3 to 6C chicken broth
1C. chopped celery(optional)
2-3tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten

Mix all ingredients well. Bake in greased pan at 350F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Italian Stuffing

Thanks "Debthecook" for the link to the Italian Stuffing with Sausage and Parmesan. I'm excited to make it. I completed my grocery list and will have this with family this year at Thanksgiving.

Crewsk; I've never heard of anyone using biscuits in their stuffing. But I'm and open minded kind of guy. Plus, the other ingrediants give me a starting point for the correct amount of herbs, spices, and liquid to add.

I'm going to try your recipe, but with croutons instead of biscuits. The way I make my biscuits, they are too tender. I fear they just wouldn't have enough body for the stuffing.

Thanks for the recipe though. As I said, the rest looks just right. :D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, if you eat my biscuits you will need a few gallons of water or something to wash them down, or maybe even some new teeth. :oops: This is the recipea I used to make the biscuits for the dressing though, I got it from cooks.com. I didn't roll them out or anything. I tripled the recipea & spread the dough in a 9x13 baking pan. They were not pretty, but they tasted better than the ones I try to make when I roll them out.
BISCUITS
2 c. flour (or 2 c. self-rising omit salt & baking powder)
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2-3 tbsp. shortening
2/3 c. milk (3/4 c. for lighter biscuits)
Cut in shortening with flour. Add milk; mix well. Roll out 1/2 inch thick on well floured surface, with floured rolling pin. Cut with 2 inch biscuit cutter. Place in greased pan just touching or 1/4-1/2 inch spacing. Or, biscuits may be shaped in palm of floured hand with dough golf ball size. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Approximately 12-16 biscuits.

Buttermilk Biscuits: Use buttermilk in place of milk, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon soda.

Herb Biscuits: 1/2 cup crumbled dry sage. Good served with children.

Cheese Biscuits: Add 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese or American cheese to flour and shortening.

Back
Top Bottom