First "No Knead"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
I know there's another thread for this, so I hope I don't get a spanking for being redundant. I was so thrilled with how this first loaf came out, that I have TWO of them started on the counter to bake tomorrow.

img_586576_0_0e274b14fedf5aaa379fac7c47e95414.jpg

BTW, between DW, hungry son and his friend, and yours truly, the first loaf is history. Fantastic flavor even without any butter or EVOO. I can hardly wait for the next two loaves. I went out and bought two good cotton towels for this recipe, and I'll see how they hold up tomorrow when I pack them with my bench flour.

I also bought an enameled cast iron dutch oven today at Kohls. It was on sale for 20% off, and DW had a coupon for an additional 30% off. Got it for $35, but I'm concerned that the grip on the lid is only rated for 350 F, and I made the bread at 450 F. If it has a melt down, I'll ask my brother to make a grip out of some brass bar stock on his lathe and try that.

Joe

I really need to find the time on Saturday to start one of these for Sunday's dinner. I was thinking that earlier today when I was reading all the "crusty bread" in today's menu. Your picture just reinforced that, Joe. Great looking bread!

Is that the NY times no knead everyone's been making around here? I printed it off about 2 months ago and still haven't done it.
Looks GREAT! Can't blame hungry son and friend 1 bit!
Good job. Thanks for the pic.

It takes all of 5 minutes to get the ingredients out, mix them up in a bowl, and set the bowl, covered, on the counter. Then you just wait for the next day, push it around a little with a spatula, let rise again, put it in the Dutch oven and bake. It really is that simple. What are you waiting for? ;)

Attachments

• no-knead-bread-loaf.jpg
    no-knead-bread-loaf.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 208
Actually GG, that is an AWESOME idea!!

The 4 yr old would hurt something I'm sure, but the 8 yr old wants to cook something "without" me. (they grow too fast!) This would be perfect!!
Thank you so much!

OMG, I heard the "crackle" as the bread began to cool this morning. Unbelievable. Made the 'slop' last night, rolled out of bed at 6:30 this morning and it was out of the oven at 8:15 a.m. Now it's off to work to make some money to buy more kitchen toyz! Gosh I like this recipe.

img_587008_0_d8b3f8361cb4ca8be25be5c6a161826b.jpg

Almost forgot... I took some of this last night to the "kitchen rats" at church, along with some Focaccia and sour dough. we had a bread party after the event just for the kitchen help, and I e-mailed the No Knead link and recipe to 6 people. Big hit, but you all knew that already.

Joe

Great looking bread there Joe - great job ! Now I need to do the same ! ( BTW-just cover the knob on your dutch oven with foil like I do- no problem !)

I don't use the floured towels any more--too messy. I just let the dough go thru the first rise, then put it into a bowl I have rinsed with water. The extra bit of moisture lets the dough release a little better into the hot pan. I do have to coax it with a spatula sometimes.

I use Katie E's suggestion of putting the dough on a piece of parchment paper, which can then be used as a sling to put it in the Dutch oven. It's fine baked along with the bread.

I have a loaf of the Cook's Illustrated No-Knead 2.0 bread sitting on the counter at home waiting to be baked.

I use Katie E's suggestion of putting the dough on a piece of parchment paper, which can then be used as a sling to put it in the Dutch oven. It's fine baked along with the bread.

I have a loaf of the Cook's Illustrated No-Knead 2.0 bread sitting on the counter at home waiting to be baked.

have ny bread on counter rising as we speak. the parchment paper sounds like a winner. this is my first loaf so we will see.

babe:chef::chef:

Joe, your breads look mouth watering! I can't wait to make this bread. I'm waiting for my new Staud DO to be delivered (hopefully it'll be today!) so hopefully I'll be able to finally try this recipe this week.

really really wet

new york times bread is browning in oven.

i thought the dough was awfully wet. copied recipe off of dc, called for one cup and five eights of water.

went to new york times video, theirs called for one and a half.

so guess i will have to wait til i cut it to see if it is ok. :ermm::ermm:

babe

new york times bread is browning in oven.

i thought the dough was awfully wet. copied recipe off of dc, called for one cup and five eights of water.

went to new york times video, theirs called for one and a half.

so guess i will have to wait til i cut it to see if it is ok. :ermm::ermm:

babe

I used 1-1/2 Cups of water in my recipe, and I use 1# of bread flour. It comes together a wee bit drier with 1# of flour, but when you come back to it after 12+ hours and go to dump it, it's still a slimy, stringy mess to deal with. When I dumped my 2 batches of glop this morning, I used a silicone spatula with a plastic handle, and had minimal cleanup when done. The silicone does not allow the glob to stick to it like a rubber spatula or plain plastic scraper. Really made a significant difference. I also used lots of bench flour (cheap AP from DW's canister) so it would not stick to the granite counter.

Joe

yummy for my tummy

just had a wonderful piece , still warm, of ny bread. it is really crunchy outside and moist inside, not doughy as i had feared. this is a keeper.

will try one and a half cups of water next time.

babe:chef::chef:

Back
Top Bottom