Freezing burger buns and hotdog bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Will the bread taste alright after freezing? What's the best way to getting it back to being soft?

Miss Dina...

I freeze them on a routine basis. With no real ill effects. It is best to let thaw them on their own. I don't like to nuke them as it seems to make them tough.
A warm oven works ok too....Hope this helps

I personally do not like them after being frozen. I find they get very dry. I do freeze them sometimes though and just toast them when ready to use.

I freeze rolls and buns all the time. To defrost, wrap a roll in a damp paper towel and microwave it for around 30 seconds (times vary). It will come out like a steamed bun if you don't overdo it. Leave it wrapped in the paper towel until ready to go. If the edgea are hard/tough, you went too long.

We freeze them regularily as well ... I have found 2 things:
1) It's better not to thaw them in the bag. Mine have tended to get a little soggy on the tops when I do this. Rather, I put them on a plate and loosely tent them with foil until they are ready.

2) Sometimes they are a little drier than we like (I haven't found a pattern to this - I think it just depends on the bakery batch) - we thaw as stated above then slice in half, drizzle with EVOO and set on the grill for about 30 seconds to toast them before serving. If it's winter, I put them on my grill pan.

Hope this helps!

I freeze them all the time. I tend to take them out of the bag and wrap in foil. Bake them in 260 degree oven to thaw. They come out a bit drier than fresh but they are warm and no one complains.

Dina, in a pinch I've frozen bread etc., & let it thaw -- but don't care for the consistency/taste. I love fresh bread, so I would just buy fresh.

mish said:
Dina, in a pinch I've frozen bread etc., & let it thaw -- but don't care for the consistency/taste. I love fresh bread, so I would just buy fresh.

Ditto except I do do this for when I want to make stuffing or dressing. Mom always made hers with pieces of hotdog buns or hamburger buns so I keep both on hand in the freezer......doesn't matter in the least when making stuffing or dressing. Oh...and when I have left over bread I'll make bread crumbs and store them in the freezer too. I let these thaw on a baking sheet out of the freezer bag to dry out. Or if I'm in a pinch and need the crumbs sooner I'll put them in a low oven to dry out.

I think it depends on your freezer. I've found that bread doesn't freeze all that well in an ice-free freezer, but turns out great in a freezer that always stays cold (and lets the ice build up).

I put them in zip loc bags in their original wrapping and they are fine. I just heat them up in the oven when I want to use them.

They freeze just fine in their own wrappers, as long as you use them within a month. Wrapping them in a second layer makes them last longer, but be sure to put them where they won't get tossed around, or all they'll be good for is bread crumbs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom