"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
I was set back a step or two when I watched this video, and realized I might be spending a bit more time at measuring and kneading than is really necessary. I'm going to give this a try because it's just so darn easy. (I also got all goofy at the sound effects when he cuts and butters the bread.)

Joe
Too bad I can't hear what the guy was saying but I watched it . Did he provide a recipe or measurements for the ingredients?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Doesn't throwing the water in damage the oven?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Too bad I can't hear what the guy was saying but I watched it . Did he provide a recipe or measurements for the ingredients?
He said, for two loaves:
-Four cups flour, tablespoon salt, tablespoon of dry yeast, add yeast water and enough additional water to flour in bowl to make a dough that comes away from sides of bowl.
-Two hours for first rise and one to one and one half hours for final rise.
-Preheated 350 to 375 oven for about 35 minutes.

It appears that his second rise may have been too long and that it prevented a good oven spring, as indicated by the flat bottoms of the loaves and slashes that did not fill out very well.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
He said, for two loaves:
-Four cups flour, tablespoon salt, tablespoon of dry yeast, add yeast water and enough additional water to flour in bowl to make a dough that comes away from sides of bowl.
-Two hours for first rise and one to one and one half hours for final rise.
-Preheated 350 to 375 oven for about 35 minutes.

It appears that his second rise may have been too long and that it prevented a good oven spring, as indicated by the flat bottoms of the loaves and slashes that did not fill out very well.
thank you very much! I'm deaf so can't hear things on youtube and such.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Your most welcome LadyCook. He mixes the salt to distribute it throughout the dry flour and says the amount of water added is based on his 35 years of experience. His karate chops, pinching of the dough, the appearance of the dough when it's ready to be turned out of the bowl for kneading and the alternate kneading of each of the two pieces of dough (to allow relaxation of each piece while the other is being kneaded) seem to be the high points of his presentation.

Bottom line still is you gotta get up at 3 AM if you want to be eating homemade handmade bread by 7 AM. Ten minutes is a catchy phrase but doesn't tell the whole story.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Your most welcome LadyCook. He mixes the salt to distribute it throughout the dry flour and says the amount of water added is based on his 35 years of experience. His karate chops, pinching of the dough, the appearance of the dough when it's ready to be turned out of the bowl for kneading and the alternate kneading of each of the two pieces of dough (to allow relaxation of each piece while the other is being kneaded) seem to be the high points of his presentation.

Bottom line still is you gotta get up at 3 AM if you want to be eating homemade handmade bread by 7 AM. Ten minutes is a catchy phrase but doesn't tell the whole story.
I'm not about to get up that early . Dinner time is good enough to have french bread.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essiebunny View Post
Doesn't throwing the water in damage the oven?
It can. I put the broiler pan on the bottom shelf let it preheat with the oven after putting bread in I pour a cup of hot water in broiler pan. Be careful doing this and close oven door as quickly as possible.

Tags
None