"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
I was set back a step or two when I watched this video, and realized I might be spending a bit more time at measuring and kneading than is really necessary. I'm going to give this a try because it's just so darn easy. (I also got all goofy at the sound effects when he cuts and butters the bread.)



Joe
Too bad I can't hear what the guy was saying but I watched it . Did he provide a recipe or measurements for the ingredients?
__________________

__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Essiebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 473
Doesn't throwing the water in damage the oven?
__________________

__________________
Essiebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Too bad I can't hear what the guy was saying but I watched it . Did he provide a recipe or measurements for the ingredients?
He said, for two loaves:
-Four cups flour, tablespoon salt, tablespoon of dry yeast, add yeast water and enough additional water to flour in bowl to make a dough that comes away from sides of bowl.
-Two hours for first rise and one to one and one half hours for final rise.
-Preheated 350 to 375 oven for about 35 minutes.

It appears that his second rise may have been too long and that it prevented a good oven spring, as indicated by the flat bottoms of the loaves and slashes that did not fill out very well.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
He said, for two loaves:
-Four cups flour, tablespoon salt, tablespoon of dry yeast, add yeast water and enough additional water to flour in bowl to make a dough that comes away from sides of bowl.
-Two hours for first rise and one to one and one half hours for final rise.
-Preheated 350 to 375 oven for about 35 minutes.

It appears that his second rise may have been too long and that it prevented a good oven spring, as indicated by the flat bottoms of the loaves and slashes that did not fill out very well.
thank you very much! I'm deaf so can't hear things on youtube and such.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Your most welcome LadyCook. He mixes the salt to distribute it throughout the dry flour and says the amount of water added is based on his 35 years of experience. His karate chops, pinching of the dough, the appearance of the dough when it's ready to be turned out of the bowl for kneading and the alternate kneading of each of the two pieces of dough (to allow relaxation of each piece while the other is being kneaded) seem to be the high points of his presentation.

Bottom line still is you gotta get up at 3 AM if you want to be eating homemade handmade bread by 7 AM. Ten minutes is a catchy phrase but doesn't tell the whole story.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #16
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Your most welcome LadyCook. He mixes the salt to distribute it throughout the dry flour and says the amount of water added is based on his 35 years of experience. His karate chops, pinching of the dough, the appearance of the dough when it's ready to be turned out of the bowl for kneading and the alternate kneading of each of the two pieces of dough (to allow relaxation of each piece while the other is being kneaded) seem to be the high points of his presentation.

Bottom line still is you gotta get up at 3 AM if you want to be eating homemade handmade bread by 7 AM. Ten minutes is a catchy phrase but doesn't tell the whole story.
I'm not about to get up that early . Dinner time is good enough to have french bread.
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essiebunny View Post
Doesn't throwing the water in damage the oven?
It can. I put the broiler pan on the bottom shelf let it preheat with the oven after putting bread in I pour a cup of hot water in broiler pan. Be careful doing this and close oven door as quickly as possible.
__________________

__________________
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.