"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2017, 12:44 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter took me to the North End here in Boston. The bastion for Italian food here in Boston. We ordered a Calzone. It was horrible. Mostly thick bread with next to nothing for a filling. One slice of cheese and one slice of salami.

Since then both of us make our own. We buy the cold cut ends (including cheeses) that are half price of what you would pay at the deli counter. I knead the dough in the bread machine. I always have bread flour on hand. And I place a thin layer of a pizza sauce on both sides of the Calzone. Sometimes if I have some frozen meatballs in the freezer, I use them instead. That is the glory of a Calzone. You can put whatever you want in them.

Everyone in the family prefer the fried version.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:34 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Yes. A calzone is definitely 'mix and match'. I love the idea of the meatball ones, and I'm definitely going to do these, so thanks for posting. What I posted was what makes a calzone a calzone.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:38 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Yes. A calzone is definitely 'mix and match'. I love the idea of the meatball ones, and I'm definitely going to do these, so thanks for posting. What I posted was what makes a calzone a calzone.

di reston

Just remember, if you are going to put a pizza sauce in it, if it is going to be for a walk-about, make sure it is thick enough to not drizzle down the front of you.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

My favorite calzone filling is ricotta, mozzarella and thin slices of ham (or prosciutto). Marinara sauce on the side to dip.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
Sous Chef

The reason why you make the filling by cutting up the mozzarella into very small pieces and then mix the tomato sauce in to make a very thick filling when it's melted is to make sure that nothing will dribble down your clothes. You're absolutely right Addie! That means your tomato sauce needs to be suitably thick to do the job.

di reston

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Eric,
there is a great video on YouTube "Artisian Bread in 5 minutes" It makes a great pizza dough and is super easy and quick to make.

https://youtu.be/g_c53AYZMGM

Hope this helps
Old 07-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Make your own. Strong bread flour/All Purpose flour + yeast + salt +a little sugar + warm water. No nasty additives & cheaper than the bought stuff and quicker because you don't have to traipse out to the shops to buy it.
And you can freeze them un-cooked before the final proving. Put a sheet of baking parchment/grease-proof paper between each one and pack in a bx or freezer bag and freeze. Just bring as many (or as few) as you need out of the freezer, allow to thaw and rise a bit, top and bake.

So much easier and quicker than standing in the queue at the supermarket checkout.

Tags
dough, frozen, pizza