"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Frozen pizza dough questions

1. I can't find this in my super.. is it neer the frozen Rhodes yeast rolls and waffles? or with the canned biscuits

2. do you let it thaw and rise like Rhodes rolls, then roll it out like a pizza? or is it all ready thin like a flour tortilla?

3. I would like to make meat pies or these Runzas or even a Calzone, sort of small and and thin I think would be best..

I am looking for a hand sized sort of meat pie I can take with me to the work at the air port, and eat at room temp for lunch.. I am so tired of hamburgers..

I have never had a Calzone, but I bet that is good also.

Eric, pizza dough challend in Austin Tx.

giggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
Head Chef

At my corner Kroger it isn't frozen or even refrigerated. Sold in small bags between the expensive cheese and Mediterranian salad bar, next to the Starbucks. They take a dim view of folk like me on that side of the store.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post
1. I can't find this in my super.. is it neer the frozen Rhodes yeast rolls and waffles? or with the canned biscuits

Ask a store employee where it is.

2. do you let it thaw and rise like Rhodes rolls, then roll it out like a pizza? or is it all ready thin like a flour tortilla?

Yes, let it thaw and roll it out.

3. I would like to make meat pies or these Runzas or even a Calzone, sort of small and and thin I think would be best..

I am looking for a hand sized sort of meat pie I can take with me to the work at the air port, and eat at room temp for lunch.. I am so tired of hamburgers..

Pizza dough will work well for all those uses.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #4
Executive Chef

They keep ready to go dough in the bakery/deli area here, which can be frozen BTW once you get it home. But, the best place to ask for location would be the customer service counter in the store.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Publix has it in the deli in its own little fridge.
I use it whenever I can. Its better than what I make.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Master Chef

You can find it in the frozen foods section along with the Bridgford frozen bread and dinner rolls, or in the refrigerated section in a tube, along with Pillsbury biscuits and sweet rolls, also in a tube. Either way, instructions are on the package.

A calzone is sort of a pizza turnover.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post

Make your own. Strong bread flour/All Purpose flour + yeast + salt +a little sugar + warm water. No nasty additives & cheaper than the bought stuff and quicker because you don't have to traipse out to the shops to buy it.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Sous Chef

A Calzone - also called Panzerotto - is a half-moon shaped fold-over snack and here in Italy is considerated to be street food. They are truly delicious, and can be cooked either by frying or by baking. They are very popular all over Southen Italy, and are readily available at fast food shops.

The basic filling (tomatoes and mozzarella) can, and often is, be modified in many ways, for instance, including oives, anchovies, salami, and such like. The baked ones are lighter to eat while the fried versions get more votes for flavour:

for 20 panzerotti/calzoni

tepid water 570 g
Flour (for baking cake dough) 500g
dried yeast 7grams
EVOO 155 g
sugar 10g
Bread flour 500g

Filling

500g mozzarella cut into tiny pieces
Origano to taste
For frying: Sunflower oil

Make the dough up as follows:

Mix the 2 flours together
Dissolve the yeast in a little warm water from the measured amount and add the sugar

Dissolve the salt in the rest of the water and drizzle it onto the flour mixing by hand as you go.
If you prefer, use your mixer/breadmaker
Add the oil and knead the dough thoroughly
Now transfer the dough on to your work suface and continue kneading until the dough is ready. Set aside to rest.

In the meantime, cut the mozzarella into very small pieces and combine with the tomatoes (Canned plum tomatoes cut into small pieces) and then the origan and the salt and pepper. Start putting the filling on to one side of each calzone, and crimp each calzone shut by pressing your first two fingers along the curved side of the calzone. Obviously, you can devise whatever
filling you prefer.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
A Calzone - also called Panzerotto - is a half-moon shaped fold-over snack and here in Italy is considerated to be street food. They are truly delicious, and can be cooked either by frying or by baking. They are very popular all over Southen Italy, and are readily available at fast food shops.

The basic filling (tomatoes and mozzarella) can, and often is, be modified in many ways, for instance, including oives, anchovies, salami, and such like. The baked ones are lighter to eat while the fried versions get more votes for flavour.
I love a good calzone. There are actually places where you can get a pretty authentic calzone here in "Merca". Neapolitan pizza is getting easier to find, too.

You might want to mention your "slices" or "bits" of mozzarella are from fresh mozzarella, not the stuff shredded in a bag that may not even be available in Italy.

I make mine with sauce and fresh mozzarella, with some fresh basil from my garden or fresh oregano, also from my garden. Either one is good. I also like to add soppressata to mine.

CD
Old 07-24-2017, 12:41 AM   #10
Sous Chef

There are many, many versions for a calzone filling, and what I suggested was simply a basic indication of what you can do. As to the mozzarella, be sure, if you're using fresh mozzarella, that you drain it well. Also, make sure that the tomatoes are drained well, otherwise you might end up with a soggy mess. If you're using fresh toms, remove the skins and the seeds, and if they're out of a can, use the 'flesh' and not the juice. I find, also, that dried herbs can give a better result. Each to his own!

di reston

Old 07-24-2017, 12:44 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

My daughter took me to the North End here in Boston. The bastion for Italian food here in Boston. We ordered a Calzone. It was horrible. Mostly thick bread with next to nothing for a filling. One slice of cheese and one slice of salami.

Since then both of us make our own. We buy the cold cut ends (including cheeses) that are half price of what you would pay at the deli counter. I knead the dough in the bread machine. I always have bread flour on hand. And I place a thin layer of a pizza sauce on both sides of the Calzone. Sometimes if I have some frozen meatballs in the freezer, I use them instead. That is the glory of a Calzone. You can put whatever you want in them.

Everyone in the family prefer the fried version.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:34 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Yes. A calzone is definitely 'mix and match'. I love the idea of the meatball ones, and I'm definitely going to do these, so thanks for posting. What I posted was what makes a calzone a calzone.

di reston

Old 07-24-2017, 07:38 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Yes. A calzone is definitely 'mix and match'. I love the idea of the meatball ones, and I'm definitely going to do these, so thanks for posting. What I posted was what makes a calzone a calzone.

di reston

Just remember, if you are going to put a pizza sauce in it, if it is going to be for a walk-about, make sure it is thick enough to not drizzle down the front of you.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

My favorite calzone filling is ricotta, mozzarella and thin slices of ham (or prosciutto). Marinara sauce on the side to dip.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
Sous Chef

The reason why you make the filling by cutting up the mozzarella into very small pieces and then mix the tomato sauce in to make a very thick filling when it's melted is to make sure that nothing will dribble down your clothes. You're absolutely right Addie! That means your tomato sauce needs to be suitably thick to do the job.

di reston

Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Eric,
there is a great video on YouTube "Artisian Bread in 5 minutes" It makes a great pizza dough and is super easy and quick to make.

https://youtu.be/g_c53AYZMGM

Hope this helps
Old 07-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Make your own. Strong bread flour/All Purpose flour + yeast + salt +a little sugar + warm water. No nasty additives & cheaper than the bought stuff and quicker because you don't have to traipse out to the shops to buy it.
And you can freeze them un-cooked before the final proving. Put a sheet of baking parchment/grease-proof paper between each one and pack in a bx or freezer bag and freeze. Just bring as many (or as few) as you need out of the freezer, allow to thaw and rise a bit, top and bake.

So much easier and quicker than standing in the queue at the supermarket checkout.

Tags
dough, frozen, pizza