"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-04-2004, 08:27 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to swinchen Send a message via Skype™ to swinchen
Garlic Bread

Ok I know it is pretty basic....

But how does everyone make their garlic bread? Cheese? Olive Oil or Butter?

I just don't like the premade stuff!

Old 12-04-2004, 08:45 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Here's how I do it.

1 baguette Italian bread

1 lb butter brought to room temperature

Fresh garlic

Split Italian bread lengthwise horizontally. Depending on how much garlic you like, mince garlic cloves (I do about 6) and put garlic and softened butter into bowl. Mix thoroughly, spread onto bread halves (it will be pretty thick) then toss into preheated 400 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes. Depending on your oven you might want to check at 8 minutes. When the edges of the bread are brown and the garlic butter has melted into the bread, you're good to go. If you want cheese, just put it on top of garlic butter before you put it in the oven! Parmesan, Romano and Asiago are my faves! :D

Old 12-04-2004, 10:30 PM   #3
Cook

1 pound of butter per loaf

Wow. Sounds Good!
Old 12-05-2004, 12:08 AM   #4

In the stores here, we get "euro-breads"...crust like a "French Roll", interior still somewhat damp and sweet...

Cut away the end, and slice 3/4" thick, butter heavily with the "garlic spread" that is not butter based, but rather oleo or olive oil (both of which are better for health!)...(both sides!)

Anyways, into a pre-heated frying pan, and about 1.5 minutes until toasted nicely...

Flip the bread, and cover with a layer of Provolone, shredded Asiago, mozza (pick your poison!)(if you want to compare gruyere, here's your opportunity!)...turn the heat off, or down, cover the pan, and leave sit for 60-90 seconds, depending on the stovetop you are working from and pan...

Cut and serve...

If you want to kick it up a lot... make the bruschetta mix of seeded fresh tomato, finely diced, drained of juices, cut fresh basil, a scoop of grated garlic, a "dash" of sea salt, a bit of fresh ground pepper, stirred and mixed...or go "all the way" with a few strips of proscioutto (sp?)...but choose your own level...

Lifter...
Old 12-05-2004, 02:47 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Largely depends on what kind I want.

If the dish is quite rich already or it is quite saucy I just get a Ciabatta or other similar style Italian loaf, cut it as thick as you want (generally about 1cm) either grill/toast etc until it is browned then get a clove of garlic, cut in half, and rub the cut side of the garlic on the bread. The bread (provided you have toasted it enough) should act like sandpaper on the garlic. Give it a good drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and maybe some cracked black pepper if you want and thats it. Since the garlic is raw it is quite potent and you dont need a large amount.

For a richer perhaps more common garlic bread I just allow some butter or margarine to soften, mince/crush some garlic cloves and mix it through then spread very liberally on the loaf or individual slices and bake in the oven.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:32 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

1 loaf semolina bread
1 stick butter
5 tbsps finely chopped garlic (do not use pre-chopped, do it fresh)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
sea salt and pepper

soften butter and blend in garlic and oregano. slice semolina bread in half lengthwise, and spread butter mix evenly inside bread. add salt and pepper to taste, and place open/buttered side up under broiler until the butter melts and the edges of the bread begin to toast.

a tasty option is to add slices of mozzarella cheese to the toasted bread, and put back under broiler until the cheese melts and begins to brown. serve with a cup of marinara for dipping.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifter
but rather oleo or olive oil (both of which are better for health!)...(both sides!)

Butter is generally considered better for you than stick margerine, unless you have a cholesterol problem.

Regular margerine is very unhealthy stuff, actually. Hydrogenated fats and trans fats.

Olive oil certainly is much healthier.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:16 PM   #8
Cook

Maybe Lifter meant Olivio (a butter substitute made from olive oil)?
Old 12-06-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I THINK Damp Charcoal meant 1 stick butter which equals 1/2 cup or 4oz per loaf. 1lb equals 4 sticks!!

I like to put celery leaves, minced, instead of oregano on the bread.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:45 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Nope, I meant 1 whopping pound of buttery goodness! The French bread loaves I get are about two feet long which equals nearly four feet when split and I do like the garlic butter to soak into the bread quite a bit. I should add here that this a Justin Wilson original and I endorse it wholeheartedly! Mmmmm.

Tags
None