"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
PP I heat the milk and stick my finger in it to test the temp, it should be just hot enough to leave said finger in liquid. I then put a tsp of sugar in, then the yeast mix and leave till it gets a good frothy head. I then sift the flour and salt into a bowl make a well and pour the yeast liquid in the add the beaten eggs and soft butter, mix together then add the dried fruit ect and knead. I put home made pistachio M/pan in the middle of mine.

Also Bolas, the recipe calls for kneading for 8 minutes, is this length of time necessary.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I think you got your answer. It sounds as if the milk was too warm and killed the yeast. You should always get the bubbly-foamy reaction when setting up your yeast.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Bolas--my grandmother taught me that trick--but she'd go so far as to put a few drops on the inside of her wrist as if checking the temperature for a baby's bottle.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:44 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierogi Princess View Post
Also Bolas, the recipe calls for kneading for 8 minutes, is this length of time necessary.
The prob you have asking me that question is I have been baking breads for a long long time and the touch and look of the dough tells me when to stop. I taught bread making at a night school yrs ago and tried to instil in my victims that most people have failures at the start. PP your confidence will grow.

Cws the funny thing is my Mum was a great cook who could not make bread.Blood temp is 98.6 f and milk at that temp will work fine as your gran knew, it may take longer but increasing the heat for speed could be a dangerous mistake.
I agree with accurate weights and measures ect in patisserie, bread making is made out to be to complex in my book.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
The prob you have asking me that question is I have been baking breads for a long long time and the touch and look of the dough tells me when to stop. I taught bread making at a night school yrs ago and tried to instil in my victims that most people have failures at the start. PP your confidence will grow.

Cws the funny thing is my Mum was a great cook who could not make bread.Blood temp is 98.6 f and milk at that temp will work fine as your gran knew, it may take longer but increasing the heat for speed could be a dangerous mistake.
I agree with accurate weights and measures ect in patisserie, bread making is made out to be to complex in my book.
I wish I could find a bread making class, no one seams to be interested in cooking or baking anymore. I wish you lived in the US or at least vacationed here long enough for a class or two. Bread I have discovered is tricky.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Although, now that I am reading your post, something did no seem right when I added the yeast, no bubbling went on? It did not seam to dissolve correctly? What do you think?
If the yeast doesn't bubble, the bread isn't going to rise. Simple as that.

As for how long you need to knead any bread, a very recognizable rule of thumb is when you're finished kneading, your dough should be supple and soft at the same time, like a baby's bottom. Eight minutes is definitely not an unreasonable length of time to expect to knead the dough, and if you're using other than white flour, quite a bit longer than eight minutes will be required.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Thanks for the info Chef June, I am going to try the Stollen bread again today, wish me luck. Your advise is great and I will let you know how or IF it turns out.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Try adding brandied raisins and currants in stollen, it's delicious! To brandy them yourself:
Boil hot water, pour enough just to cover the raisins, cranberries, etc.
Let cool, then add in brandy, however much you like.
Store in a glass jar (I keep mine in the fridge).
When ready to use, drain out the liquid but keep the fruits plump and moist.
It's best made an year in advance, but if you do it today, it'll still taste pretty good by Christmas. I learned this from an British friend who makes fruitcakes, and I used her trick to make the best stollen I've ever tasted.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Brandied raisins and currants sound wonderful, guess what I am going to get at the store tomorrow. I have raisins but no currants. Thanks for the tip. I will make a good stollen bread if it kills me. Also, can you share your Christmas fruit cake recipe, my husband loves it and I have made it a couple of times and it is ok. He had some from a friends mom when he was younger and said it was wonderful. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotuile View Post
Try adding brandied raisins and currants in stollen, it's delicious! To brandy them yourself:
Boil hot water, pour enough just to cover the raisins, cranberries, etc.
Let cool, then add in brandy, however much you like.
Store in a glass jar (I keep mine in the fridge).
When ready to use, drain out the liquid but keep the fruits plump and moist.
It's best made an year in advance, but if you do it today, it'll still taste pretty good by Christmas. I learned this from an British friend who makes fruitcakes, and I used her trick to make the best stollen I've ever tasted.
I'd be tempted to drink the brandy or throw it in with a pork roast...

Tags
bread, flour, milk, recipe, yeast

German Stollen Bread I tried making German Stollen Bread and bombed, it didn't rise and the dough was very dense. I baked it anyway and it came out like a hockey puck. Any help.....:ohmy: 3 stars 1 reviews