"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus Township, MI
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
PP I heat the milk and stick my finger in it to test the temp, it should be just hot enough to leave said finger in liquid. I then put a tsp of sugar in, then the yeast mix and leave till it gets a good frothy head. I then sift the flour and salt into a bowl make a well and pour the yeast liquid in the add the beaten eggs and soft butter, mix together then add the dried fruit ect and knead. I put home made pistachio M/pan in the middle of mine.

Also Bolas, the recipe calls for kneading for 8 minutes, is this length of time necessary.
__________________

__________________
If you ever get the choice to sit it out or dance, I HOPE YOU DANCE.
Pierogi Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus Township, MI
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I think you got your answer. It sounds as if the milk was too warm and killed the yeast. You should always get the bubbly-foamy reaction when setting up your yeast.
__________________

__________________
If you ever get the choice to sit it out or dance, I HOPE YOU DANCE.
Pierogi Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,316
Bolas--my grandmother taught me that trick--but she'd go so far as to put a few drops on the inside of her wrist as if checking the temperature for a baby's bottle.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:44 AM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierogi Princess View Post
Also Bolas, the recipe calls for kneading for 8 minutes, is this length of time necessary.
The prob you have asking me that question is I have been baking breads for a long long time and the touch and look of the dough tells me when to stop. I taught bread making at a night school yrs ago and tried to instil in my victims that most people have failures at the start. PP your confidence will grow.

Cws the funny thing is my Mum was a great cook who could not make bread.Blood temp is 98.6 f and milk at that temp will work fine as your gran knew, it may take longer but increasing the heat for speed could be a dangerous mistake.
I agree with accurate weights and measures ect in patisserie, bread making is made out to be to complex in my book.
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus Township, MI
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
The prob you have asking me that question is I have been baking breads for a long long time and the touch and look of the dough tells me when to stop. I taught bread making at a night school yrs ago and tried to instil in my victims that most people have failures at the start. PP your confidence will grow.

Cws the funny thing is my Mum was a great cook who could not make bread.Blood temp is 98.6 f and milk at that temp will work fine as your gran knew, it may take longer but increasing the heat for speed could be a dangerous mistake.
I agree with accurate weights and measures ect in patisserie, bread making is made out to be to complex in my book.
I wish I could find a bread making class, no one seams to be interested in cooking or baking anymore. I wish you lived in the US or at least vacationed here long enough for a class or two. Bread I have discovered is tricky.
__________________
If you ever get the choice to sit it out or dance, I HOPE YOU DANCE.
Pierogi Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Although, now that I am reading your post, something did no seem right when I added the yeast, no bubbling went on? It did not seam to dissolve correctly? What do you think?
If the yeast doesn't bubble, the bread isn't going to rise. Simple as that.

As for how long you need to knead any bread, a very recognizable rule of thumb is when you're finished kneading, your dough should be supple and soft at the same time, like a baby's bottom. Eight minutes is definitely not an unreasonable length of time to expect to knead the dough, and if you're using other than white flour, quite a bit longer than eight minutes will be required.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus Township, MI
Posts: 138
Thanks for the info Chef June, I am going to try the Stollen bread again today, wish me luck. Your advise is great and I will let you know how or IF it turns out.
__________________
If you ever get the choice to sit it out or dance, I HOPE YOU DANCE.
Pierogi Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 45
Try adding brandied raisins and currants in stollen, it's delicious! To brandy them yourself:
Boil hot water, pour enough just to cover the raisins, cranberries, etc.
Let cool, then add in brandy, however much you like.
Store in a glass jar (I keep mine in the fridge).
When ready to use, drain out the liquid but keep the fruits plump and moist.
It's best made an year in advance, but if you do it today, it'll still taste pretty good by Christmas. I learned this from an British friend who makes fruitcakes, and I used her trick to make the best stollen I've ever tasted.
__________________
chocotuile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus Township, MI
Posts: 138
Brandied raisins and currants sound wonderful, guess what I am going to get at the store tomorrow. I have raisins but no currants. Thanks for the tip. I will make a good stollen bread if it kills me. Also, can you share your Christmas fruit cake recipe, my husband loves it and I have made it a couple of times and it is ok. He had some from a friends mom when he was younger and said it was wonderful. Thanks in advance.
__________________
If you ever get the choice to sit it out or dance, I HOPE YOU DANCE.
Pierogi Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotuile View Post
Try adding brandied raisins and currants in stollen, it's delicious! To brandy them yourself:
Boil hot water, pour enough just to cover the raisins, cranberries, etc.
Let cool, then add in brandy, however much you like.
Store in a glass jar (I keep mine in the fridge).
When ready to use, drain out the liquid but keep the fruits plump and moist.
It's best made an year in advance, but if you do it today, it'll still taste pretty good by Christmas. I learned this from an British friend who makes fruitcakes, and I used her trick to make the best stollen I've ever tasted.
I'd be tempted to drink the brandy or throw it in with a pork roast...
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bread, flour, milk, recipe, yeast

German Stollen Bread I tried making German Stollen Bread and bombed, it didn't rise and the dough was very dense. I baked it anyway and it came out like a hockey puck. Any help.....:ohmy: 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.