"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Senior Cook

German Stollen Bread

I tried making German Stollen Bread and bombed, it didn't rise and the dough was very dense. I baked it anyway and it came out like a hockey puck. Any help.....

Old 10-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

It would help if you'd post your recipe (or source for the recipe). I have made Stollen, not for a long time, but I have (someplace in my files) a TNT Stollen recipe.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Senior Cook

CWA4322:

Here it my recipe for German Stollen Bread: Please help

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 2/3 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon salt
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1/3 cup currants
  • 1/3 cup sultana raisins
  • 1/3 cup red candied cherries, quartered
  • 2/3 cup diced candied citron
Directions

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the egg, white sugar, salt, butter, and 2 cups bread flour; beat well. Add the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has begun to pull together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead in the currants, raisins, dried cherries, and citrus peel. Continue kneading until smooth, about 8 minutes.
  3. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. DID NOT RISE 10-15-11
  4. Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Fold the dough over to cover it; pinch the seams together to seal. Place the loaf, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and bake for a further 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow loaf to cool on a wire rack.
Please notice my note on #3 I notated that it did not rise. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I would say there is a strong probability that the milk was too hot. It is also possible that the yeast was bad.

Have you used the yeast to make other breads? Did you use a thermometer to measure the temperature of the milk?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I did use a thermometer, at first the milk was 120 degrees, so I put it out side and thought I cooled it down enough, would it taint the milk if I originally made it to hot then cooled it down? I just used the yeast last week for "regular" bread so I don't think that was an issue. Although, now that I am reading your post, something did no seem right when I added the yeast, no bubbling went on? It did not seam to dissolve correctly? What do you think?

Congrats Forty Caliber on a Ranger victory for our Tigers. Hope your team goes all the way and takes the World Series.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
Executive Chef

PP I heat the milk and stick my finger in it to test the temp, it should be just hot enough to leave said finger in liquid. I then put a tsp of sugar in, then the yeast mix and leave till it gets a good frothy head. I then sift the flour and salt into a bowl make a well and pour the yeast liquid in the add the beaten eggs and soft butter, mix together then add the dried fruit ect and knead. I put home made pistachio M/pan in the middle of mine.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I think you got your answer. It sounds as if the milk was too warm and killed the yeast. You should always get the bubbly-foamy reaction when setting up your yeast.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Also note the related recipe link
A Good Appetite - A Holiday Stollen That Will Stay Moist - NYTimes.com
Old 10-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
PP I heat the milk and stick my finger in it to test the temp, it should be just hot enough to leave said finger in liquid. I then put a tsp of sugar in, then the yeast mix and leave till it gets a good frothy head. I then sift the flour and salt into a bowl make a well and pour the yeast liquid in the add the beaten eggs and soft butter, mix together then add the dried fruit ect and knead. I put home made pistachio M/pan in the middle of mine.
Bolas, thank you for this process, I will try again, I believe I have a good recipe, just a bad cook. The "original" recipe called for marzipan in the middle, I never had any with that in the middle, so I left it out. It sounds good, will add it this time.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Thank you for this web site, it was very informative, copied it for reference.

Tags
bread, flour, milk, recipe, yeast

German Stollen Bread I tried making German Stollen Bread and bombed, it didn't rise and the dough was very dense. I baked it anyway and it came out like a hockey puck. Any help.....:ohmy: 3 stars 1 reviews