"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Help Choosing A Grain Mill

Does anyone here grind their own grains for bread?

I’m trying to choose a good grain mill and I could use some advice.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Sous Chef

How much grain do you need to mill at a time? Try to be specific (eg - X number of cups OR X number of pounds)

Do you want a mill that can both crack grain and mill flour?

Do you want a mill that can make whole wheat pastry flour as well as bread flour?

Do you want a mill that can also handle legumes (for example, soybeans for soy flour) or will you only mill grain?

Do you have a preference for an electric or a manual mill?

What is the maximum you're willing to pay?

What about storage? does the mill need to be stored between uses or do you have space so it can always be out, ready for use?

================
If you can be more specific about your needs, you will get better advice.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

1. 150 lbs.
2. Just flour and meal
3 Just regular wheat flour
4. Yes
5. Electric
6. Whatever it takes
7 Either option would be ok.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Cook

How much grain do you need to mill at a time? Try to be specific (eg - X number of cups OR X number of pounds)
1 pound

yes

Do you want a mill that can make whole wheat pastry flour as well as bread flour?
yes

Do you want a mill that can also handle legumes (for example, soybeans for soy flour) or will you only mill grain?
Corn and beans as well as grain

electric

$300.00

What about storage? does the mill need to be stored between uses or do you have space so it can always be out, ready for use?
Space is not a problem; I have a large kitchen with a lot of cabnet and store area; but I don't want something that will be too big for me to handle alone.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
Old 01-30-2008, 01:56 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I guess I'll just order the book "Flour Power" it's supposed to be really good.

I've also seen that Peter Reinhart has a new book out on whole grains; I guess I'll check that one out as well.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Betty...Check out this link. I'm not recommending these items, but it may give you some ideas...There are many other sites to see and read. I'm currently negotiating with a lady for a 24" Meadows Stone Mill. It is overkill for sure, but I sure would like to have the mill. I know the history of it, and it has ground a lot of corn meal and wheat flour for me over the years. The owner recently passed away. Good luck!

Grain Mill Nutrimill Bosch Mixer Bosch Mixers Wheat Flour Grinder Mills Family Grain Mill Best Buy Ultramill Ultra Mill

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I grow and also mill my own wheat (as well as Barley and Rye).
I use a simple coffee grinder to do mine but I have to do it in a couple of batches at a time.
but it`s not really a problem as there`s only 3 of us and I only make 1 loaf at a time or a dozen buns.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Miss Betty...Check out this link. I'm not recommending these items, but it may give you some ideas...There are many other sites to see and read. I'm currently negotiating with a lady for a 24" Meadows Stone Mill. It is overkill for sure, but I sure would like to have the mill. I know the history of it, and it has ground a lot of corn meal and wheat flour for me over the years. The owner recently passed away. Good luck!
Holy cow Uncle Bob!!! Good luck!!!! Let me know how it comes out.

I’ve been doing research on the subject for several days now and I feel like my brain is going to fall out. My son is much better at research than I am so I’m thinking that I may just turn this over to him. I know that’s the lazy way out but isn't that what kids are for?

There is an UltraMill on Ebay that I’m looking at.

What part of Mississippi are you from? My dad is from Picayune; he’s one of the Smith’s from Picayune. I haven’t been there in more years than I like to think of. We still own property there; my Uncle has been taking care of the place. He’s getting pretty old now and although he hasn’t said anything I think he’s about ready to pass the job onto one of the younger crowd; I’m thinking my brother.

I don’t know why they are so set on hanging onto the old home place my Grandmother has been gone for almost 20 years now; it's hard to let go of your roots I suppose.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
Sous Chef

recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
1 pound
yes
yes
Do you want a mill that can also handle legumes (for example, soybeans
for soy flour) or will you only mill grain?
Corn and beans as well as grain
electric
$300.00
Space is not a problem; I have a large kitchen with a lot of cabnet and store area; but I don't want something that will be too big for me to handle alone.
Given your needs and your price point, your best bet is one of the micronizer type electric mills on the market for the home user, such as the Nutrimill (which I own) or the Wondermill (formerly marketed as Whispermill). You will *not* be able to produce cracked grain in a micronizer mill. If you only occasionally need cracked grain in smaller quantities (1 or two cups), you could use a blender or food processor. Or you could purchase a small, inexpensive manual grain grinder for this purpose.

Micronizer mills are rated to handle legumes as well as grain. The Nutrimill, while rather large, is light weight and easily handled by one person. I assume the same goes for the Wondermill.

The Wondermill has two separate components, the milling mechanism and the flour receptacle, which connects to the milling mechanism with a short tube

In contrast, the Nutrimill is "all in one", with the removable flour bin at the base of the unit. I prefer the Nutrimill over the Wondermill because of the design.

Slightly less expensive micronizer mills on the market for the home miller that are a "all in one" design include the Ultramill Grain Mill (made by Bosch)

and the BlendTek

I have not researched evaulations for either the Ultramill or the Blendtek.

Less expensive micronizer mills generally have a smaller capacity (not a concern for you, as you only want to mill about 1 pound of grain at a time) and may be significantly louder. A plus is that their physical size is smaller. It is important to check out the warranty for each brand *in detail* before purchase. Also, it is advisable to do a 'net research for reviews and owner opinions.

Here are links to two extensive reviews of micronizer mills (Nutrimill and Wondermill) which you should find helpful.

This one kernals or berries??????]www.thefreshloaf.com - discussion and evaluation of grain mills is by an individual who is both a home baker and a small scale commercial baker who has used many mills targeted for the home baker and/or small scale bakery.

This one kernals or berries??????]www.thefreshloaf.com - Nutrimill grain mill - a home baker's perspective is my review of the Nutrimill after owning (and using) it for about 6 months.

===============
please post back to this thread if you have further questions
Old 02-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfuscpersona View Post
Given your needs, your best bet is one of the micronizer type electric mills on the market for the home user, such as the Nutrimill (which I own) or the Wondermill (formerly marketed as Whispermill). You will *not* be able to produce cracked grain in a micronizer mill. If you only occasionally need cracked grain in smaller quantities (1 or two cups), you could use a blender or food processor. Or you could purchase a small, inexpensive manual grain grinder for this purpose.

Micronizer mills are rated to handle legumes as well as grain. The Nutrimill, while rather large, is light weight and easily handled by one person. I assume the same goes for the Wondermill.

The Wondermill has two separate components, the milling mechanism and the flour receptacle, which connects to the milling mechanism with a hose

In contrast, the Nutrimill is "all in one", with the removable flour bin at the base of the unit. I prefer the Nutrimill over the Wondermill because of the design.

Here are links to two extensive reviews of micronizer mills (Nutrimill and Wondermill) which you should find helpful.

This one kernals or berries??????]www.thefreshloaf.com - discussion of micronizer mills is by an individual who is both a home baker and a small scale commercial baker who has used many mills of this type.

This one kernals or berries??????]www.thefreshloaf.com - Nutrimill grain mill - a home baker's perspective is my review of the Nutrimill after owning (and using) it for about 6 months.

===============
please post back to this thread if you have further questions
Thank you subfuscpersona,

I really enjoyed reading the posts on the Fresh Loaf forum.

From my research I've decided to go with an Ultramill and a Marcato Marga Mulino Grain Crusher / Flaker.

I found both at a little online hippie juicer shop for a really good price. I got the Ultramill for making really fine flour and the Crusher / Flaker for making courser ground flour, meals, cereals and rolled oats. I was able to get both for a little less than I would have paid for a Nutrimill.

Thank you for your help, I'm looking forward to some hearty loaves of bread and bowls of good cereal.

Now what I need it some online sources for ordering grain.

Thank you,
Betty

Tags
grain mill, grind flour