Homemade bread, your favorite recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rye bread

G'day PrincessFiona, always plenty of bread and marmalade at my place. Next time you're passing through Queensland, stop in and visit. Always welcome a cuppa and a chat. :LOL:

My favorite beer batter bread
Just made this for the first time about a week ago. I have a friend who sells Tastefully Simple products. Every time she posts an image of this stuff I think "gotta make that bread". Not, however, with an $8 box mix.

It was quick and easy to make, very tasty too. Unfortunately, any time saved because it was quick was spent washing beer off the kitchen sink window and part of the wall next to it. :( Won't be opening canned beer again.

Marmalade

Marmalade is made with predominantly citrus, sliced or in chunks, and set with there own pectin.

A bit off topic maybe, but why does the French bread baked at my supermarket look good, but when you cut it up to eat, it's like foam rubber inside? Isn't it supposed to have some "texture" or something? I guess that's why restaurants have such good rolls to eat while you wait for your food, they put some effort into it. I can't stand the stuff they bake at my local supermarkets now. UGh! Foam rubber bread.

bread-005.jpg
Our niece shared this recipe with me
some butter and homemade Meyer Lemon Marmalade and you're golden!

G'day PrincessFiona, always plenty of bread and marmalade at my place. Next time you're passing through Queensland, stop in and visit. Always welcome a cuppa and a chat. :LOL:

Your comment made me think of these sweet rolls.

Orange Sweet Rolls Recipe : Ree Drummond : Food Network

Next time you are messing about with a batch of bread dough cut off a hunk and make a small pan of these. Think of it as more of a process than a recipe! :yum:

Sounds delicious. Making bread tomorrow, so I'll try some. Marmalade can be bitter but it depends on the type of citrus used. In my pantry at the moment, I have mandarin, three fruit, cumquat and sweet orange, all sweet marmalade. We grow all our own fruit and veggies. The bitter marmalade is made with Seville oranges I do believe. :LOL:

Thinking on making Key Lime Marmalade...have a serious lime thing going on in the Shrek household, been switching all citrus in recipes to lime.

Thanks for the invite Grannys42.

Thinking on making Key Lime Marmalade...have a serious lime thing going on in the Shrek household, been switching all citrus in recipes to lime.

Thanks for the invite Grannys42.

:whistlingPut the lime in the coconut and drink 'em both together
Put the lime in the coconut and then you'll feel better
Put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up
You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up
You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up

what makes a marmalade a marmalade as opposed to a preserve, jam or jelly?

just curious.

As I understand it, marmalade is made with any type of citrus using the flesh and the peel.

I'd say marmalade is a specific type of preserve.

Preserves are made with bigger pieces of fruit.

Jams tend to have smaller fruit solids.

Jellys contain no solids, just the jelled juice.

We've been making this 100% whole wheat bread for about 10 years in our Zojiruchi bread machine. I have the exact ingredients memorized but can't tell you a thing about baking times or temperatures but I'm sure this can be done by hand using a loaf pan. We grind our own flour from red winter wheat with a flour mill which gives an incredible fresh result. Because it has no preservatives, it dries out quickly. So, we then make what I consider the world's best French toast with it. When the loaf gets too small to do much with my wife make fantastic salad croutons with the rest.

1 1/3 cups warm water
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup raw clover honey
4 level cups flour
2 tsp of salt
1 tbsp dry yeast
1 egg

In a large bowl, combine and mix well with a whisk the water, oil, honey, egg, salt, and yeast until it is all dissolved. Add flour cup-by-cup until it can be handled and kneaded. Knead for about 5+ mins and set back into the large bowl which has been cleaned and slightly oiled. Let rise, covered, for about 1-2 hours. It doesn't have to double but should significantly increase in volume. Knead down again and shape into a log and put into a LARGE bread pan. (this makes a BIG loaf of bread) Let rise until almost doubled. Put in 350 degree oven anywhere from 30 to 35 mins. Caution! If your digestive system is not used to this much fiber it would be a good idea to hang around home until you find out how this bread affects your alimentary canal, if you know what I mean.

PS-I cannot say enough about the performance of my Zojirushi bread machine which I have had for over 10 years. Fantastic performance and durability.

And there's lots of citrus peel in it, which makes it very bitter, to me. Not my favorite flavor.
I agree, nasty stuff. We had a jar of marmalade in the pantry for years. Neither one of us likes the stuff and neither one of us knew how it got there. We must have thrown it out. It seems to be gone.
Sounds delicious. Making bread tomorrow, so I'll try some. Marmalade can be bitter but it depends on the type of citrus used. In my pantry at the moment, I have mandarin, three fruit, cumquat and sweet orange, all sweet marmalade. We grow all our own fruit and veggies. The bitter marmalade is made with Seville oranges I do believe. :LOL:
That's the stuff that is intentionally bitter. Every marmalade I have ever tasted was either bitter or a bit bitter and far too sweet, in an attempt to cover up the bitter. Some of us taste bitter a lot more than other people.

thanks for the info on marmalade gran, gg, and andy.

when i was growing up, we always had orange marmalade in our house as my dad loves the stuff. i hated it when it was a kid.
when we were on vacation in lake placid recently, we ordered a room service breakfasts that came with tiny jars of orange marmalade. my wife and son now love the stuff as well.

give me peach or strawberry preserves, anyday.

thanks for the info on marmalade gran, gg, and andy.

when i was growing up, we always had orange marmalade in our house as my dad loves the stuff. i hated it when it was a kid.
when we were on vacation in lake placid recently, we ordered a room service breakfasts that came with tiny jars of orange marmalade. my wife and son now love the stuff as well.

give me peach or strawberry preserves, anyday.

Same here, bucky. I bought orange marmalade to use in a recipe - never had it growing up - and it's practically inedible for me. Now, strawberry preserves - oh, yum! :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom