Hot dog buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm lost.
Is this the hot dog bun topic?
:LOL:
You could at least move your cooling rack around to get it in the different pics, Joe ;)
Nice kitchen!

My stepson and his girlfriend made an unexpected visit this weekend. I had wanted to do stuffed trout for dinner, but thye came early and said "Burgers would be fine". I need an emergency order of buns. I rolled out the trusty allrecipies recipie and started in. I need a quick rise, so I set my oven as los as it would go (170). When it came up to temp, I shut it off and put the buns in there and left the door ajar. Badabing! 30 minutes later we bere baking buns.

I ground a 50 / 50 mix of round and chuck cubes. Best burgers I have ever had. Clean fresh taste and not heavy in the stomach after. THis is a simple and great recipie.

DW is getting spoiled with all the baking, I've been barred from the bread aisle at the gorcery store.

Did you get your instant yeast yet Adillo or did you use the plain 'ol proofing yeast?
Just curious how that works for these.

I have in hand 1# of Red Star active dry yeast. I guess that I am old fassion. I still like to proof the yeast and go that way. I am however using up what I had on hand of Fleishmans, before I open the Red Star.

Well, it's been awhile since anyone posted to this thread, so I'll add my two cents and two pics. I made a batch of rolls and buns with the KitchenAid basic white bread recipe, and I really like the way they turned out compared to my first disaster (no oil on the plastic wrap) and the subsequent batch with a different recipe that came out looking all pasty white with craters in the crust. The rise was minimal, probably due to the expensive yeast. Here are the latest (and best so far) rolls/buns. All are 3-1/2 oz.

img_602509_0_9629ad9c3ef4ee1dd9fe4b6af397e83c.jpg

img_602509_1_fd0077faa7247f558cc00e111c2b0ad4.jpg

I'm now using the 1# package of SAF Instant Yeast (cost a whopping $2.16 per pound), and Bob's Red Mill bread flour. My recipe has also been converted to volume, and every batch comes out the same.'''

Joe

Last edited:
Rolls look good, Joe. How long did you bake them in the oven?

These were in the oven about 22 minutes on 400 degrees F. I set the timer for 20 minutes and then look at them thru the door. I let them in a bit longer so I could get more color. I also misted them with water just before putting them in the oven, and it gave the crust just a little extra texture. Not like Kaiser rolls, but not dead soft either.

These were in the oven about 22 minutes on 400 degrees F. I set the timer for 20 minutes and then look at them thru the door. I let them in a bit longer so I could get more color. I also misted them with water just before putting them in the oven, and it gave the crust just a little extra texture. Not like Kaiser rolls, but not dead soft either.
thanks for the reply. I couldn't find my KitchenAid manual for the bread recipe, had to look online for a recipe, hopefully it is the right one . I would like to make rolls. I have a KitchenAid cookbook and white sandwich bread is not in it . :ermm:

I had a thought yesterday after reading the "what is white flour" thread.
My hot dog buns are good but still pretty dense.
Would it work or make them any lighter to try making them with cake flour..... having a bit less gluten?
Thoughts?

In the "early summer 2008" King Arthur Flour baker's catalogue, page 19, item 7, item # 5658, called New England Bun Pan.
Description: Perfect for vertically sliced buns for hotdogs, chicken salad, and all kinds of stuffed sandwiches. 15 1/2" X 6 1/2". Makes 10 buns. Recipe included. $39.95

Beautiful picture too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom