Hot milk and toast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'd heard the term milk-toast before, but it always had a connotation of a wimpy or maybe a bland person. i can see the connection.

i wonder if the culinary milk toast gave rise to breakfast cereals?

i'd heard the term milk-toast before, but it always had a connotation of a wimpy or maybe a bland person. i can see the connection.

Popcorn was originally served up with milk and sugar, like a breakfast cereal. Not the way I like to eat my popcorn. I guess you could say it would be like eating corn-pops cereal.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's actually Milquetoast, a comic strip character from the 1920s about a timid person :)

I grew up in Mich., where Kellogg's is based. Corn flakes began as a sort of health food. There were two Kellogg brothers who ran a sanitarium with the goal of encouraging good health with special diets, including whole grains. The founder of Post cereals was a patient there :) More info: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellogg_Cereal#section_1

My uncle used to have leftover rice with sugar and milk for breakfast.

Last edited:
thanks, gg. interesting stuff. but i wonder if the name has anything to do with the dish's bland nature.

Last edited:
That's actually Milquetoast, a comic strip character from the 1920s about a timid person :)

I grew up in Mich., where Kellogg's is based. Corn flakes began as a sort of health food. There were two Kellogg brothers who ran a sanitarium with the goal of encouraging good health with special diets, including whole grains. The founder of Post cereals was a patient there :) More info: Kellogg Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My uncle used to have leftover rice with sugar and milk for breakfast.

I'm in Michigan too, but in "da U/P". I knew about the Kellog's brothers and was wondering when someone would bring that up. I didn't know that the founder of Post cereals was a patient at the Kellog's sanitarium/resort.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm in Michigan too, but in "da U/P". I knew about the Kellog's brothers and was wondering when someone would bring that up. I didn't know that the founder of Post cereals was a patient at the Kellog's sanitarium/resort.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I grew up in several places in SE Michigan. Moved to VA in 1985.

Battle Creek Sanitarium Notable Patients. Also includes Mary Todd Lincoln, Amelia Earhart and Sojourner Truth. Man, I could read about history all day ... But I want to get outside while it's over 50°F.

Last edited:
I grew up in several places in SE Michigan. Moved to VA in 1985.

Battle Creek Sanitarium Notable Patients. Also includes Mary Todd Lincoln, Amelia Earhart and Sojourner Truth. Man, I could read about history all day ... But I want to get outside while it's over 50°F.

You guys are all making me homesick. I left the battle creek area in 1979. I've been back for several visits, but am due to go again soon. Several classmates had parents who worked at Kellog's. I used to love to take the factory tour (where they gave you an entire snack pack of little boxes of cereals). They stopped doing the tours a long time ago. Then they had a visitor center (down town) of sorts where you got to learn how the ceral was made and got one little box of froot loops at the end. Now that has closed down too. I feel sorry for the youth that never gets the chance to experience the factory tour. Sure was a good time!

Hot Milk and Toast

Has anyone ever had toast with hot milk poured over it, with salt and pepper, or am I the only one who grew up eating this? I like it so much I get cravings for it, but I don't eat it often because it grosses my bf out lol. Bf is gone for the day, so I'm going to go make myself some milk toast... ::yum::

Hello Skittle68
I grew Up in the 60's and 70's
for breakfast, both me and my younger brother had HOT Milk and Toast.
We learned this from our grandmother on my mother's side.

Our method was as follows. :chef:
On the Stove with a 2 - 3 qt Pan
2-4 cups of Milk
3/4 to 1.5 sticks of Butter
Heat till Butter is melted and Milk is HOT!
During the heating, you can Salt and Pepper to taste we liked it with a salty taste.
Also, while it is heating up make toast from bread 4- 6 Pieces per person.

Put the HOT milk mixture in large enough bowls and dunk toast in the buttery milk.

My father did something a bit different he made toast then put it in a bowl and added Milk and Suger the milk was cold not heated. I never cared for that version strange as I am a sweet tooth person.

Hope you all can enjoy any of these versions let me know too

Mother and Grandmother were from Iowa.
Father was from Indiana.
We grew up in California

OH, how about?
Ground Bologna with Ground Pickle & Onion with Mayo or Miracle Whip and a bit of mustard.

Lastly, I have been having HOT Milk and Toast a few times this last month thinking about having some today too. :chef:

Hello Skittle68
I grew Up in the 60's and 70's
for breakfast, both me and my younger brother had HOT Milk and Toast.
We learned this from our grandmother on my mother's side.

Our method was as follows. :chef:
On the Stove with a 2 - 3 qt Pan
2-4 cups of Milk
3/4 to 1.5 sticks of Butter
Heat till Butter is melted and Milk is HOT!
During the heating, you can Salt and Pepper to taste we liked it with a salty taste.
Also, while it is heating up make toast from bread 4- 6 Pieces per person.

Put the HOT milk mixture in large enough bowls and dunk toast in the buttery milk.

My father did something a bit different he made toast then put it in a bowl and added Milk and Suger the milk was cold not heated. I never cared for that version strange as I am a sweet tooth person.

Hope you all can enjoy any of these versions let me know too

Mother and Grandmother were from Iowa.
Father was from Indiana.
We grew up in California

OH, how about?
Ground Bologna with Ground Pickle & Onion with Mayo or Miracle Whip and a bit of mustard.

Lastly, I have been having HOT Milk and Toast a few times this last month thinking about having some today too. :chef:

Ad some oysters and you have stew! I grew up in Iowa and love hot milk but usually with something like oatmeal or cream of wheat. We'd heat the milk to add to the cereal, even shredded wheat. My FIL did like hot milk and toast which I thought odd. Now days if I can't sleep I have hot milk with Horlick's added.

Your ground bologna recipe sounds good!

I love eel. We used to catch them in The River and get them smoked at the Hot Fish Shop fish market in Winona. I always get eel when out for sushi, too.

We were enver given hot milk and toast, but every once in a while, at Grandpa's house, I had bread in a bowl of milk, with sugar sprinkled on top. I was told that this was a regular breakfast meal during the depression era. I liked it. DW can't handle anything that is, as she calls it, soggy, not even open-faced sandwiches with gravy on top. Oh well, more for me.

We were enver given hot milk and toast, but every once in a while, at Grandpa's house, I had bread in a bowl of milk, with sugar sprinkled on top. I was told that this was a regular breakfast meal during the depression era. I liked it. DW can't handle anything that is, as she calls it, soggy, not even open-faced sandwiches with gravy on top. Oh well, more for me.

BTW Chief, how is your wife doing? Considering all she has been through during that terrible stressful time, if she doesn't want hot milk and toast, then she doesn't have to have it. :angel:

I used to babysit a little 7-8 year old Cuban boy after he got home from school when DD was a baby. Freddie's afternoon snack (that his mother provided ingredients for) was nearly always sweetened condensed milk poured on white bread and then toasted lightly in the oven. Freddie was a bit pudgy. It would be interesting to see if he still likes his milk toast as an adult.

That sounds divine. I love sweetened condensed milk in any form.

I need to go to Eagle site and look for some recipes using sweetened condensed milk. The only thing I have made with it so far is the Chocolate Chip Cheesecake. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom