"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 11-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
Senior Cook

okies thank you

Old 11-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Pan Rolls

1 tbsp yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup oil
5-6 cups Hot Roll mix

Dissolve yeast in water, add eggs and oil. Add dry ingredients. Add additional mix to make sure dough is not too sticky. Knead for at least 5 minutes and turn into a greased bowl. Let rise til double (1 hour). Punch down dough and divide dough into 24 balls of equal size. Place balls in greased 13x9 inch pan, cover and let rise about 30-40 minutes. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.

And Gretchen, I just toss my yeast in with the flour as I use the fast rise stuff. Works just fine.

I'll post the other recipes I have for this stuff as I go along.
Alix,,, when dividing dough into balls,, how large should they be?? I know they rise when baked, but I was curious on how large they should be... Thanks

Old 11-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
Everymom

Hmmm. Slightly larger than golf ball sized I guess. Its been a while for me. I like them smaller than most folks though so feel free to go as large as a baseball if you like.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hot Roll Mix Missing Text?

Hello, I am supposed to use a 16-ounce package of hot roll mix for the recipe I have chosen. I live in Germany and can't find the ingredient - therefore I'm going to make my own hot roll mix. Found a recipe but I think it is missing part of the text (I suppose you can tell that baking is not my thing). Second row: Add extra dry ??
Thanks so much for your help!
Greetings from Germany
Ruth

Put yeast in water, then add eggs and oil to it. Add the dry ingredients and blend well. Add extra dry to make a soft but not too sticky dough, knead for about 5 minutes. Oil a bowl and place dough in it, cover with damp towel and let rise aprox 1 hour or til doubled. Punch down dough, divide in half. Let stand 10 minutes.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Hello, and welcome to DC. Begin by adding 5 cups of the dry roll mix and stir into the rest of ingredients. Then add the extra cup ( to make 6 cups total) as needed to make a good dough. Sometimes you need to add a little more dry mix if it is still too sticky to work with. Always start with the lesser amount first.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruschmibagain View Post
Hello, I am supposed to use a 16-ounce package of hot roll mix for the recipe I have chosen. I live in Germany and can't find the ingredient - therefore I'm going to make my own hot roll mix. Found a recipe but I think it is missing part of the text (I suppose you can tell that baking is not my thing). Second row: Add extra dry ??
Thanks so much for your help!
Greetings from Germany
Ruth

Put yeast in water, then add eggs and oil to it. Add the dry ingredients and blend well. Add extra dry to make a soft but not too sticky dough, knead for about 5 minutes. Oil a bowl and place dough in it, cover with damp towel and let rise aprox 1 hour or til doubled. Punch down dough, divide in half. Let stand 10 minutes.
16oz is only 2 cups.

Ruth, just use some extra hot roll mix to keep the dough from being sticky. They've given you a basic recipe, but want you to use the mix and not plain flour to get your dough to the right consistency.

Good luck! I had forgotten about this stuff! I think I'm going to put some together and make some stuff with it. It was the handiest stuff.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
Everymom

Just adding a note so I can subscribe to this one. I really need a "recipe box" on here.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I keep a blank copy of Word document on the bottom bar. Then I do a copy and paste of any recipe that I want to keep. From there it goes into my Recipe file that I have on my computer. Every two months I transfer all my important files like Recipes to a Flash file. I also can go at my leisure, into a recipe and put it in the format that I like. Always, set the oven temp first. Next list of ingredients. Then the directions and amount of time for cooking/baking. I also break them down to Main Dishes, Puddings, Soups, Breads, etc. Each sub title gets its own folder.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Hello Ruth and welcome to DC
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Guten Tag, Ruth! Ich denke DC wirt eine lustige und informative kocken Referenz fuer sie. Welcome to DC, Ruth! I think you will find DC both a fun and informative cooking reference. Whereabouts in Germany do you live? I spent six months in Northern Germany (in a small village between Oldenburg and Delmenhorst, near Bremen) as an exchange student and used to make a lot of bread when I lived there.

Tags
None