"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Hot Roll Mix

I got this from a friend years ago, and I love its versatility.


20 cups flour
4 tsps salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup dry milk

Combine ingredients in large tupperware container (or other air tight container). Stir to make sure sure things are evenly distributed. Use within 6-8 months.


Use the hot roll mix to make lots of stuff.

Crescent Rolls

1 tbsp yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup oil
5-6 cups hot roll mix

Put yeast in water, then add eggs and oil to it. Add the dry ingredients and blend well. Add extra dry to make a soft but not too sticky dough, knead for about 5 minutes. Oil a bowl and place dough in it, cover with damp towel and let rise aprox 1 hour or til doubled. Punch down dough, divide in half. Let stand 10 minutes. Roll out each half to a 12 inch circle, brush circle with soft butter or margarine. Use a pizza cutter and cut circle into 16 wedges. Roll wedges from the wide end and place point down on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise again til double (about 45 mins) Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.

__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,694
I would think you could probably use the instant yeast actually combined into the mix also since it is made to use without putting in water first. Of course, you'd need to test it.
Is there a recipe just for making the rolls? I might give it a test drive for the complete mix.
__________________

__________________
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Pan Rolls

1 tbsp yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup oil
5-6 cups Hot Roll mix

Dissolve yeast in water, add eggs and oil. Add dry ingredients. Add additional mix to make sure dough is not too sticky. Knead for at least 5 minutes and turn into a greased bowl. Let rise til double (1 hour). Punch down dough and divide dough into 24 balls of equal size. Place balls in greased 13x9 inch pan, cover and let rise about 30-40 minutes. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.

And Gretchen, I just toss my yeast in with the flour as I use the fast rise stuff. Works just fine.

I'll post the other recipes I have for this stuff as I go along.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Straits of Juan de Fuca
Posts: 893
wonder if you could use powdered buttermilk in the base mix???
__________________
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
wonder if you could use powdered buttermilk in the base mix???
That would add a nice piquancy and I have a buttermilk roll recipe. I think you might have to add some soda, however.
__________________
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I got this from a friend years ago, and I love its versatility.


20 cups flour
4 tsps salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup dry milk

Combine ingredients in large tupperware container (or other air tight container). Stir to make sure sure things are evenly distributed. Use within 6-8 months.


Use the hot roll mix to make lots of stuff.

Crescent Rolls

1 tbsp yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup oil
5-6 cups hot roll mix

Put yeast in water, then add eggs and oil to it. Add the dry ingredients and blend well. Add extra dry to make a soft but not too sticky dough, knead for about 5 minutes. Oil a bowl and place dough in it, cover with damp towel and let rise aprox 1 hour or til doubled. Punch down dough, divide in half. Let stand 10 minutes. Roll out each half to a 12 inch circle, brush circle with soft butter or margarine. Use a pizza cutter and cut circle into 16 wedges. Roll wedges from the wide end and place point down on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise again til double (about 45 mins) Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.
Wow, Alix! That is a terrific idea! I think that's an awful lot of sugar for my taste, but you can always play with the formula. A mixture of whole wheat and white flour would also be a tasty variation -- or even a mixture of several grains!

My mom never served a dinner to "company" that she didn't make home made rolls. I think it's a wonderful addition to a special meal!
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix



I'll post the other recipes I have for this stuff as I go along.

This looks awesome!

there must be a way to know when the new posts come for this recipe, or do I just have to keep this somehow, and check back often?
__________________
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Debbie, you can subscribe to this thread so that whenever there is a new post in it you will get an email.

cjs, I never thought of buttermilk powder, bet that would be really nice.

June, yep, its a lot of sugar, but this is also for sweet rolls which I think is why its in there. You can mess with it and tell us what you come up with, I love "troubleshooting" stuff and finding new ways of doing things.

Here's the latest installment.

Pluck It (Yes, you read that right)

1 tbsp yeast
1 1/2c warm water
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup oil
5-6 cups Hot Roll mix
3 tsps cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil

Dissolve the yeast, add eggs and oil to yeast mixture, then add the Hot Roll mix. Stir well, add more if necessary to keep dough from being too sticky. Knead about 5 minutes. Butter bowl, dump dough in and turn to butter top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough. Roll dough into walnut sized balls. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Dip each ball into the oil, then into the cinnamon sugar and pile the balls loosely into an unbuttered tube pan. Let rise about 30 minutes (preheat oven to 400 while you wait) bake about 10 minutes, lower temp to 350 and bake for 30 more minutes. Turn out onto a nice serving plate and drizzle with cream cheese glaze. These can be plucked off one at a time. Oh so yummy.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Debbie, you can subscribe to this thread so that whenever there is a new post in it you will get an email.

.
Ok feeling really stupid.. ummm how do I do that? LOL
__________________
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Um...one way is to go into your profile and set it to subscribe to stuff in there, but whenever you reply to a thread all you have to do is scroll down and it has stuff like Manage Attachments and then Thread subscription. Just click on the box and go from there. Let me know if you need any more help.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.