"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 07-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Executive Chef
How do YOU make garlic bread?

I have tried various crazy methods to make garlic bread, just tried using roasted garlic and I would not say it is a winner. I am looking for ideas using fresh garlic. In roasting the garlic, I lost the pungent flavor I love. I don't mind cooking it a bit, just need ideas about how to go about putting garlic to bread. One idea that worked eating wise was to chop garlic and nuke it with butter, smear on bread, toast in sandwich maker, but the garlic bits stuck to the lid and was a mess to clean the sandwich maker.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I like to take olive oil, clarified butter, fresh parsley, and crushed garlic, salt and pepper, mix them all and let sit for a day. Then slice a bagguette into 2 inch wide sections, but without cutting all the way through to the bottom, and drizzle the infused oil/butter mix all over, and inbetween the slices. Wrap in foil, and bake till crispy.

TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Master Chef
This is how I make it:

Let butter soften to room temp. Pre-heat oven to 450

Chop garlic (as much as you want) very fine. Add a bit of kosher salt and mash to a paste with the side of your knife.

Mix garlic paste with butter; add parsley or chives if I have them. Parm cheese if I feel like it, too.

Take baguette and slice, but not all the way through. Spread butter thinly on each slice and lightly on top.

Wrap in foil with edge of foil at top so that it can be opened.

Heat in oven till hot, open top of foil and heat a bit more till crusty. If you want, sprinkle some more parm cheese on top about 1 min before done.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Like the above two methods suggested, you need to infuse the garlic with the butter. I would use Jenny's method of making sort of a garlic compound butter because you'll get more flavor with the butter fat not removed. But, I would also suggest using TATTRAT's method of letting the garlic infuse into the butter overnight to really intensify the flavor. A combination of the two methods may give you the flavor that you're looking for.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
Master Chef
IronChef gives good advice. But have you ever made a simple Bruschetta? It is done by brushing a French or Itallian loaf, which has been split lengthwise, with EVOO, and either toasting over a fire or under a broiler. When the bread is crisp and lightly browned, rub fresh, uncooked garlic cloves over the bread to "grate" the garlic on the rough toasted bread surface. It gives you a wonderfully intense, and full garlic flavor, plus the added flavor bonus of your favorite olive oil.

Today, most people top their Bruschetta with may toppings, too many in my opinion. The simple garlic and olive oil Bruschetta of old was a way of testing the EVOO quality, and so had few adornments. It tastes wonderful and is a great side for many pasta and antipasta dishes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
Master Chef
I have to admit that my method isn't the "chef's way", but for whatever reason my guests can never get enough of it.

I buy either French baguettes or the wider Italian bread & slice them in 1" segments - but not all the way through. I then slather both sides of each slice with softened butter & sprinkle in granulated garlic, dried oregano or dried "Italian Seasoning", & a dash of crushed red pepper flakes. The breads are then loosely enclosed in foil & baked at 350 for about 10 minutes - then the foil is opened & baked for an additional 5 minutes or until the bread is toasted to taste. Sometimes fresh-grated parmesan or other Italian cheese is added before the final toast.

Like I said - not serious cooking, but boy is it GOOD. And even better - EASY!!!

To be perfectly honest, if I'm making a kick-*** meal, I really don't want to be bothered noodling with the bread - especially when my guests have already told me that my easy-as-heck bread is their favorite!!
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
Senior Cook
When I make bruschetta, I toast baguette dry, without olive oil. I feel that this way, the bread absorbs more garlic afterwords. Just slice each garlic clove in half and rub the flat surface over the toasted bread, then drizzle with olive oil.

I love bruschetta with a topping of tomato, fresh basil, red onion, salt, pepper, olive oil, and just a little balsamic vinegar. I know it's a lot, but it's mostly tomato and basil. Goodweed's reccomendation is a good one.

SNPiccolo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
Head Chef
I will roast the garlic (whole clove) in EVOO for 2 hrs at 200*. Then I smash it into a paste and remove the skins. I butter my bread, smear on the garlic paste, add cheese sometimes, and always salt it. Bake it at 350* for about 10 minutes and then broil till brown.

Sometimes I mix the garlic and the butter together before adding it to the bread.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Thanks all for taking the time to respond, I am off to try several of these suggestions..........
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
Sous Chef
I brush the bread in olive oil then oven-roast it then rub it with a clove of fresh garlic.

Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote