"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 04-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I make mine many different ways, the easy way like Middie other times I put it under the broiler to brown, take out and brush my garlic butter that I have simmered awhile. Then sprinkle w/ parms when it comes out.

Kadesma - Like your idea of the addition of anchovies, hubby and I both like them!

Old 04-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L.
I make mine many different ways, the easy way like Middie other times I put it under the broiler to brown, take out and brush my garlic butter that I have simmered awhile. Then sprinkle w/ parms when it comes out.

Kadesma - Like your idea of the addition of anchovies, hubby and I both like them!
Thanks Barb,
I do use unsalted butter for this as reg butter and the anchovies plus the oil they are packed in make the bread to salty for me..Others might prefer reg butter though so whatever works is a go for it at my house
kadesma

Old 04-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
Master Chef

Depending on what I'm eating it with, sometimes I like my bread to be soft inside. To fix it that way, I slice the loaf almost all the way through, leaving it attached at the bottom. Then I put bits of butter between the slices, dust with granulated garlic, wrap the whole thing up in foil and stick in the oven.

We do the bread all kinds of ways, though. We haven't tried it with anchovies, however. That sounds good...kind of like bagna calda.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:16 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Depending on what I'm eating it with, sometimes I like my bread to be soft inside. To fix it that way, I slice the loaf almost all the way through, leaving it attached at the bottom. Then I put bits of butter between the slices, dust with granulated garlic, wrap the whole thing up in foil and stick in the oven.

We do the bread all kinds of ways, though. We haven't tried it with anchovies, however. That sounds good...kind of like bagna calda.
Yep, all you do is eliminate the dip,dunk and drip

kadesma
Old 04-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I slice a french stick diagonally across, not quite all the way through but all the way along at about 1" intervals. Thicker or thinner to your taste.
Mix up the type of butter you like, salted or unsalted, with chopped or minced garlic ( or even dried garlic if you want to cheat) With a knife insert a good dollop between each slice, then spread a generous amount all across the top. Wrap in foil and bake about 15 mins; then undo the foil and bake on high to brown the top.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #16
Sous Chef

We make ours the way Constance makes hers. YES.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I like mine to have crispy edges, dark golden sides, but still a little soft inside. I slice french bread nice and thick. I spread a mixture of butter and garlic on both sides of the bread. Then I put it under the broiler and broil it until each side is dark golden.

Barbara
Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
Head Chef

We slice our loaf from one length to the other and have two halves. Cover each half with garlic spread and any other favorites such as paprika...etc.
Lay them side by side on a flat bread pan and put in 400F oven until the bread is warm and the topping has melted (sometimes there is cheese on it). The outside next to the pan may get crusty which is good.

Making garlic cheddar biscuits, crackers and crisp bread are some more favorites.

Tags
None