How do you store your crusty bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad this was asked.
I have a hard time figuring out how to store a regular homemade loaf.

Now myself I just leave it on the counter, cut side down. Won't keep forever though, better eaten in a couple days, IMO.

We have a wooden bread bin. I make 6 loaves at a time and keep one or two out. The rest go into the freezer. As for the others, if a loaf of bread last more than a day or two, it is truely amazing.

Paper, plastic? foil? If you made extra bread, do you freeze them?

yes, I freeze extra loaves, or extra of any loaf. I find if I store the bread wrapped in a towel the crust gets too hard, and if I put the loaf in a plastic bag, the crust gets too soft. So I do a dance between the two. Wrap in cloth one day, stick all in a plastic bag the next day, back out of the bag the next. Always out on the counter.

yes, I freeze extra loaves, or extra of any loaf. I find if I store the bread wrapped in a towel the crust gets too hard, and if I put the loaf in a plastic bag, the crust gets too soft. So I do a dance between the two. Wrap in cloth one day, stick all in a plastic bag the next day, back out of the bag the next. Always out on the counter.

What I did is wrap the loaf in freezer paper then put that in a zip lock bag, and squeese all the air out I could. Tomorrow I will see how it worked. ;)

I keep it in a plastic bag in a basket bin in my peninsula (like an island, but next to the wall). When I want to re-crisp it, I put it in a 350* oven directly on the rack for 10 minutes. And I freeze extra, wrapped in foil and then in a ziplock freezer bag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom